Let's Play a Game (29)

I really had no idea how we were supposed to tell our friends, which was probably my biggest concern. I didn’t know how Johnny felt about me, and I knew Kate would freak out since I didn’t tell her right away. Not to mention Aveline was probably going to try to kill me…

Now that the project I had been partnered with Aveline with was over, our teacher was now assigning us new partners. I knew he wasn’t going to make the same mistake by making Aveline my partner again, but I heard that this partner had to have a boy and a girl as partners.

Mr. Ranch was going through all the names on his clipboard, and I could only hope that I’d be partnered with Zach this time. I didn’t know what this project was, but I knew it’d be so much better with my fiancé as my partner.

It was really weird to think that he was my fiancé. We were both still so young, still in high school, but it was something that we both wanted. And, if you haven’t noticed by now, both Zach and I were really impatient. We didn’t like waiting.

“Alright,” Mr. Ranch now said as he stood in front of the class. “This is going to be your final project in here, which I’m sure all of you are very thrilled about.”

I heard a few kids snickering, but I wasn’t exactly that happy. I actually liked projects when I was partnered with someone I could actually stand…

“I'm going to be putting you into boy a d girl partners and giving you one of these…”

Mr. Ranch then took out a baby doll and I heard people groan, me being one of them. I noticed Kate turn completely white from across the room, and I knew she wasn’t going to be looking forward to a project that was going to be like the rest of her life.

“This is actually a very fun project, if you get along with your partner,” our teacher smirked at all of our faces. “Every senior has to pass this assignment or they can’t graduate.”

How great. Knowing my luck, I’d probably get partnered with someone I couldn’t stand, just like last time. Luck had never been on my side.

“Alright,” Mr. Ranch now said as he looked back down at his clipboard. “Here are the partners. Madison and Sean, Erin and Manny, Cornelia and Sam...”

And I completely zoned out after he had said other names, not one of them being mine. I already mentioned how impatient I was, and right then was no different. I was completely zoned out and I didn't even hear when my name was called.

When I zoned back in, I saw Kate on the other side of the room with a guy named Duke, but they weren’t my main concern. I had to figure out who my partner was before Mr. Ranch found out I wasn’t paying attention and I got in trouble.

When there was a tap on my shoulder, I nearly jumped right out of my seat. I turned to the person who had tapped me, annoyed, only to see that it was Zach smirking at me.

“What?” I snapped at him, and this only made his smirk grow even bigger.

“Wow, so mean to your husband, aren't you?” he smiled now, and I almost gasped as I looked around to make sure no one had heard him.

“We’re not married yet,” I reminded him, in case he had somehow thought that we were already married and not only engaged. “Don’t go around saying we’re married so easily.”

Zach rolled his eyes at me now, as if I was the idiot.  I looked around now, trying to find someone who didn’t have a partner, but found everyone paired up? Was my partner not there, or…

“Are you my partner?” I asked, actually feeling excited for this project now when he nodded and took a seat next to me. “Hmm… This project just got a lot better...”