Let's Play a Game (16)

“Hey, wake up,” I heard someone snap, and someone was suddenly kicking my bed.

I rolled over to see Zach staring down at me. I only glanced at him and then groaned before turning back over. “I don’t want to talk to you,” I told him grouchily.

I could tell he rolled his eyes, even though I wasn’t facing him. “Get up, Maxxy.”

“The last time you woke me up I almost died!”

“Me waking you up had nothing to do with you going out into that blizzard!” Zach nearly shouted, and I could tell that he was frustrated with me. “And anyway, it was Kate that woke you up! I was just in the room!”

“Therefore, it is your fault as well,” I grumbled, still not turning toward him.

I heard Zach nearly growl. “Johnny was in here too, you know. And Aveline.”

I felt my stomach twist and turn at the mention of my boyfriend. My boyfriend that said he loved me only a week before. I had been trying my best to avoid him throughout the week, and had been acting awkward whenever I was with him. He luckily didn’t notice, but I knew that he would sooner or later.

“You got quiet, which means you’re thinking about Johnny,” Zach sighed, still not leaving my room as he stood above me. “It’s not that hard to tell someone you love them, you know. You just have to say it.”

“Oh, yeah?” I practically burst, sitting up from my bed and glaring at him now. “It might be easy for you to say you love someone, but it’s not easy for me! We’re two different people, Zach. You can do things with any girl and it won’t mean anything to you at all. I’m not like that. Well, except when it comes to you, but that’s only because I know you have no feelings for me whatsoever.”

Zach rolled his eyes again. “You’re overthinking it. Just tell him you love him. If you find out that you don’t, just break up with him later or just fall in love with him as time goes on. You’re freaking out over nothing. Just tell him.”

“It’s not that easy!” I shouted now.

When he suddenly sat down right next to me, I was surprised, I was so surprised that I couldn’t even react and push off my bed and out of my room.

His hand moved to cup my cheek, and I stayed silent throughout this entire ordeal. The smartest thing I could have done was stay quiet.

“I love you,” he whispered, surprising me greatly.

I didn’t know what I was supposed to say at first. I felt my cheeks burn, and I was sure my whole face was growing red. This wasn’t something I ever expected to come from Zachary Deveraux’s mouth.

When he snorted and turned away from me, I knew what he had done. He had just shown me how easy it was to tell someone that you loved them.

“Your face is so red!” he laughed as he now stood up from my bed. “Did you think I was actually being serious? Even after I told you that it’s easy to tell someone you love them? You really are gullible!”

“You’re horrible,” I muttered, rubbing at my cheek, as if that was going to get it to cool down.

Zach laughed again, winking at me. “I’m not gonna lose this game, Maxxy.”

I glared up at him. “And neither am I, Blanche.”

As his eyebrows furrowed at the nickname, I couldn’t help but wonder how long this game was going to go on for. We were both so determined to win. If no one lost, how was it ever going to end?

“Why did you even wake me up this early?” I demanded now, finally looking over at the clock to see that it was nine o’clock in the morning. “It’s Saturday.”