Thanksgiving 2000

(AN: takes place after season 1; episode 7 "Blood Drops").
A week before Thanksgiving found Emma Grace running around town trying to make sure that everything she needed for the next week was in order. Emma Grace was sitting at a coffee shop in town, taking a short break from all of her errands, when her cell phone rang.

Emma Grace had to fish around in her purse for a few minutes to locate her cell phone. I need to clean this thing out, Emma Grace thought as she hit the answer button. "Hello?"

"Emma, is this a bad time?" Jillian Stokes asked after she had heard the breathlessness in the young woman's voice.

"No, it's a good time Jillian. I was having a problem finding my phone. What's up?" Emma Grace took a sip of her coffee.

"I'm trying to get the headcount for Thanksgiving. Are you and Megan going to be able to come?" There was excitement in the voice of the matriarch of the Stokes family as she talked about the upcoming holiday.

"Megan won't be at the house; she's celebrating Thanksgiving with her boyfriend's family this year."

"What about you, Sweetheart?"

"Jillian, I'm not going to be able to make it to the house for Thanksgiving this year. I got an offer to go to India for the week and help out at a few local orphanages."

"Does this have anything to do with Nick coming home for Thanksgiving this year?" Even though Jillian asked the question, she was pretty sure she already knew the answer.

"Yes and no, but, Jillian, I can't pass up this opportunity. And I'm excited about going."

"I understand, Sweetheart. Will we see you tonight for dinner?" Jillian asked.

"It's meatloaf night! You know I wouldn't miss it!" Emma Grace teased.

"See you tonight Sweetheart." With that, Jillian Stokes hung up the phone.

Later that night, Emma Grace had to answer the tons of questions Nick's siblings bombarded her with about why she wouldn't be there for Thanksgiving. The family was slightly upset that Emma Grace wasn't going to be there, but they were excited for her too. After the questions of why she would not be there were answered to everyone's satisfaction, the questions about her upcoming trip came. Emma Grace didn't mind answering these questions, and her excitement for next week grew.

It was the day before Thanksgiving, and Bill Stokes was the one to pick up his youngest son, Nick, from the airport. Father and Son talked about their jobs and what had been going on back at home during the car ride.

Nick made it as far as the porch before one of his siblings came to greet him. "Nicky! I'm glad you're home!" Chris Stokes walked over the threshold of the door and met his baby brother with a hug on the porch.

"It's good to see you too, Chris," Nick said as he hugged his brother back.

"Were you getting ready to chop some wood? Do you need some help?" Nick asked when he and his brother separated and he got a good look at Chris.

"I am, but you better go on inside. Everyone wants to see you." Chris had a huge smile on his face as he patted his brother on the back. As Chris walked off the porch, their dad followed him to help. Nick smiled and made his way into the house.

"Nicky! You're home!" Lisa, who had been sitting in the living room with the nine youngest children, exclaimed with excitement when she saw Nick. She hurried over to him and hugged him. Nick laughed as his nieces and nephews followed Lisa's example, rushing to hug him.

"How have you been?" Lisa asked as Nick picked up Molly and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"I've been good. I'm still enjoying my job, I have some great friends, and I enjoy living in Las Vegas. But, I've missed Y'all, I've missed Texas, and I've missed all of this," Nick said spreading an arm out to take in as much of the house, and people in the house, as he could.