Moving In

(AN: takes place in season 5 between episodes 17 "Compulsion" and 18 "Spark of Life.")

Moving Emma Grace and Megan to Las Vegas from their apartment in Texas started on March 13th. Emma Grace was already in Vegas where she had stayed with Nick for a few nights. Megan flew to Vegas with Lauren, William, and Tyler. Kimberly rode in the van with her husband Jeff and Molly, Brittany, Lexi, and Elizabeth. The rest of the van was filled with small items from Megan and Emma's apartment. Allen, Gina's husband, drove the moving van with some of the furniture in it to Vegas.

The rooms that Emma, Megan, Gina, and Kimberly focused on were the guest bathroom, Emma's bathroom, and Megan's bathroom. Ashley came over with two of her friends to watch Molly, Brittany, Tyler, Lauren, William, Lexi, and Elizabeth. Megan would go back and forth from helping decorate the bathrooms to watching the kids.

Nick, Allen, and Jeff were the muscles who lifted and moved all of the heavy furniture and boxes around for the women. 

It was March 16th when the next round of helpers showed up in Vegas. Lisa and Donna, two of Nick's sisters, helped Emma Grace and Megan decorate and set up the dining room with the connecting kitchen. Donna's husband, James, worked on the electrical of the house while Lisa's husband, Robert, helped Nick, Joshua, Warrick, and Greg move furniture around to satisfie Emma and Megan. Ashley was back over at the house, and she was helping Jessica, Jennifer, Michael, and Matthew make concrete stepping stones that would be placed in the yard. Emma Grace wanted each of her nieces and nephews to make one.

The living room was furnished and decorated by March 20th. Maya and Chris showed up the day before with Joshua, Anthony, Andrew, and Emily. Ashley and a few of her friends showed up, and Nick, Warrick, and some of the older guys from the children's home came over to help move everything around. 

After a three day break, Sandra and Gina showed up with their husbands and Sandra's two boys. Jillian and Bill Stokes came to Vegas to help Emma Grace and Megan fix up the two bedrooms and the nursery for Megan's baby, which they had found out the day before that it was going to be a girl. Ashley, who came over after her classes, Megan, and Sandra decorated Megan's room while Emma Grace, Gina, and Jillian decorated Emma's room.

A day and a half later Catherine, her mother Lily, and Lindsey showed up at Emma and Megan's house. They hung up the few decorative items in the laundry room before Bill Stokes, Andrew, and Anthony installed the washer and dryer. Nick, Sandra's husband Kevin, and Gina's husband Allen were in charge of putting the beds and crib together. Nick was thankful he had two men helping him put the crib together who had done it before because he was dumb when it came to baby things.

When the house was completed, Megan and Emma Grace prepared a feast of food and threw a party. Sandra, Kevin, Andrew, Anthony, Ashley, Ashley's friends and boyfriend, Gina, Allen, Jillian, and Bill were able to attend the housewarming party. Catherine, Lily, Lindsey, Warrick, and Greg were able to come over to the finished house. The invitation extended to the whole team, and Doc and his wife, David and his girlfriend, Grissom, Sofia, and Brass all stopped by. 

Grissom gave Megan and Emma Grace a plant they had never heard of before but was easy to take care of as a housewarming gift. Jim Brass surprised them by providing Megan with everything she would need to babyproof the house and a pink teddy bear. Jim explained that he had helped out with kids, and he remembered what the baby years were like. There were other small gifts from everyone that would help Emma Grace and Megan survive living in Las Vegas.

Everyone was sitting around enjoying dessert when there was a knock on the door. Catherine was the one to answer the door because everyone wanted Megan to sit and rest because she was seven months pregnant and no one wanted her to overdo it. Also, Catherine didn't want Emma Grace to have to get up from her position of sitting in Nick's lap looking as if she could take on the world because her protector was with her, and Catherine didn't want to disturb the beautiful picture the couple made.

To everyone's surprise, Sara Sidle was the one knocking on the door. Sara seemed uncomfortable as she entered the house, was introduced to Megan and Emma Grace, and presented them with a houseplant similar to the one Grissom gave them.

"Sara, why don't you come with me into the kitchen and we can fix you a plate." Emma Grace didn't ask the question as she got up from Nick's lap. Her words were more of a soft-spoken command. Emma Grace had been looking forward to meeting Sara, and she wanted a few minutes alone to talk to the woman.

"Thank you for coming, Sara. It means a lot to me." Emma Grace smiled at Sara over her shoulder as she made her way to the fridge.

"I'm sorry I'm just now getting around to introducing myself. It's been a little crazy at work." Sara was uncomfortable, but she was trying to make everything work because all of her friends had nothing but amazing things to say about the woman in front of her.

"That's not a problem at all. Are you hungry?"

"Um-yeah, but you should know-" Sara began to speak.

"That you're a vegetarian. I made a vegetarian lasagna, and there's garlic bread. Is that okay?" Emma Grace gave Sara a reassuring smile as she placed a generous chunk of the lasagna on a plate and placed it in the microwave.

"Thank you for that." Sara seemed genuinely surprised by Emma Grace's attention to detail.

"Not a problem. Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?" Emma Grace leaned up against the counter to get comfortable.

"Sure." Sara was wondering what the other woman was up to as she handed her a soda.

"What made you decide to be a crime scene investigator?"

Sara gave the brief, safe, version of what made her chose the job that she had. Then the two joined the rest of the party that was scattered from the dining room to the living room. Sara loosened up as the night went on, and came to the realization that she approved of Emma Grace and Megan. What surprised Sara the most was that everything Warrick and Greg told her concerning the way Nick was with Emma Grace was true. She was getting to watch the way Nick always knew where Emma Grace was and made sure she had everything she needed. The gentleness and protectiveness that Nick showed toward Emma Grace surprised Sara, but she could see the two of them lasting, and Sara usually wasn't confident in a couple's ability to stay together or happy for long.