Christmas 2002

(AN: this takes place after season 3; episode 10 "High and Low." This is a short chapter, and I apologize for that, but this was as far as I thought this chapter needed to go.)

"You want me to do what?" Emma Grace looked at Nick shocked.

"I want you to go paragliding with me." Nick had a massive smile on his face.

"Why?" It was official; Nick was losing his mind.

"I had a case where the murder victim enjoyed paragliding, and because of jealousy, he ended up dead."

"Great way to convince me, Nicky." Emma Grace rolled her eyes at Nick.

"Come on Gracie. I tried paragliding in Nevada before I came home. You'll love it. Please."

Emma Grace contemplated the idea of paragliding. Nick had a look as if he were a kid on Christmas morning. Emma Grace didn't want to disappoint him.

"Fine. But, if something happens, I'm going to kill you." Nick laughed and hugged Emma Grace. The two got in the car and started the hour-long drive to the closest paragliding place in Texas.

It turned out that Emma Grace enjoyed paragliding. She and Nick spent four hours at the paragliding place. Emma Grace had informed Nick that this was going to be a new tradition for them. Nick was okay with that.

When Emma Grace and Nick returned to the house the older nieces and nephews wanted to know all about paragliding. Some of them begged Emma Grace and Nick to take them next time they went.

"How's everyone at work?" Emma Grace and Nick were snuggled on the couch drinking hot chocolate while the children watched Christmas movies. Nick talked about how everyone seemed to be doing fine, except for Grissom who would disappear for hours at random times and not talk about what was bothering him.

The Stokes' family Chrismas traditions continued with games, crafts, movies, food, and the annual horseback riding. Nick and Emma Grace were beside each other at all times. Everyone in the family was hoping this was the year the two would admit their feelings to each other.

Emma Grace informed Nick about the chance she had to go to Las Vegas for work. Emma Grace was wanting to help with opening a group home for children who were taken from their parents in Las Vegas. She would be making a few trips to Las Vegas in the coming year to get everything going. She hoped to have the group home opened by the end of the coming year. What Emma Grace did not tell Nick was that she had been offered a permanent job in Las Vegas. She just hadn't made a decision yet.