A Day in the Life of Emma Grace

AN: Takes place during the events of season 4; episode 4 "Feeling the Heat."

October 2003

In Las Vegas, Nevada Catherine Willows and Gil Grissom were investigating why a man left his baby locked in a car during the heat wave resulting in the baby's death. Nick Stokes and Sara Sidle were trying to solve the mystery of a girl who washed up on the shore of a lake. Finally, Warrick Brown was trying to prove if a man died from a heat stroke, or from foul play. Needless to say, the CSI grave shift team had their hands full.

Life was just as crazy in Texas, minus all of the murders. Bill Stokes had to appear in court daily as the judge, and his wife, Jillian Stokes was in court as much as he was because of all the cases she had as a lawyer. Each of the six other Stokes siblings and their spouses was busy in their jobs. 

Ashley, the oldest Stokes grandchild, was adjusting to life in college while the other ten older grandchildren resumed the habit of high school, middle school, and elementary school. Starting with five-year-old Tyler, the youngest four Stokes grandchildren were learning what kindergarten, daycare, and babysitters were like.

Maya Clemons, Emma Grace's friend and the girl that Nick's older brother, Chris, was interested in, had been adjusting to life in Texas along with the Stokes family being in her life. Megan, Emma Grace's best friend since childhood, was learning how to juggle her work and family life along with finally being in the kind of relationship where she could see herself marrying the guy she was dating.

Emma Grace was working at the social work company she had been at since she graduated college. However, she had multiple conference calls with a company in Las Vegas where she was helping to open a group home for children in need. One of the things that caused a great deal of stress in Emma Grace's life was that Megan had been asking questions about the car accident that killed every member of Emma Grace's family nine years ago. Megan said she had a hunch she was following. Emma Grace knew she didn't want to be a part of that "investigation."

Emma Grace was in her kitchen making some dinners that Kimberly and Jeff could put in the fridge and just heat up for some easy to prepare meals once their daughter came into the world. Kimberly was due with the couples second baby in three weeks.

"Do you have a date with David tonight?" Emma Grace asked while Megan walked around the apartment they shared looking for her jewelry. It was six in the evening, and Emma Grace was pretty tired from a full day of visiting clients all day, but she enjoyed cooking.

Gladiator, Emma Grace's Cane Corso Mastiff, leaned against Emma Grace's legs. Megan looked at Emma Grace and smiled. "Yeah. David made dinner reservations for us."

"I hope you have a good time, Megs." Emma Grace smiled at her best friend as she finished cleaning up the kitchen after she had made the meals for Kimberly and Jeff.

"What are you up to this evening?" Megan walked around getting ready while she asked the question to Emma Grace.

"I'm going to curl up on the couch and watch TV with Gladiator."

"Will you be calling Nick at some point tonight?" Megan gave Emma Grace a knowing look as she popped her head out of the bathroom to ask Emma Grace the question.

"Yes. Why?" Emma Grace gave Megan a look that asked why Megan was asking stupid questions.

"I just thought, maybe, you and Matthew might go out on another date. Y'all haven't been on a date in about a month."

"Should I be concerned that you pay so much attention to my dating life?"

"No. I'm your best friend; I'm supposed to pay this much attention to your dating life. And, being the great friend that I am, I couldn't help but notice that things have slowed down with Matthew since Nick came home for the anniversary of the wreck."

"Megan, Matthew and I have only known each other for a year and two months. We've only been seriously dating for seven months. Therefore, things are going to seem like they're moving slow to everyone else." Emma Grace wasn't aggravated by Megan. She knew Megan was just concerned about her, but she couldn't help rolling her eyes at her best friend.

"Okay, here's a serious question: can you see yourself married to Matthew, or is Nick back in the picture?" Megan never broke eye contact with Emma Grace as she asked the question.

Emma Grace had a look of shock on her face. Then her cheeks heated up with a blush. She had thought she was doing an okay job of hiding the fact that her old feelings for Nick were coming back, but apparently not.

After a few minutes of silence between the friends, Megan smiled at Emma Grace. "I guess you have more than just the job to consider while trying to decide if you're going to move to Las Vegas."

"That's crazy Megan. Nick and I tried to make it work years ago. It almost ruined our friendship." Emma Grace was determined to deny her feelings for as long as possible.

"Both of you have grown up since then Gracie. You know y'all have always been more than friends, and everyone close to you knows that. Y'all need to stop lying to yourselves."

"I'm confused. Do you want me with Matthew or with Nick?"

"Gracie, I want you with whoever will make you happy." 

Before Emma Grace could say anything, there was a knock on the door. Emma Grace answered it while Megan went to get her shoes. "Hey, David."

"Hey, Emma. How have you been?" David and Emma Grace made small talk while Megan collected her purse. Megan came out of her bedroom and greeted David with a kiss. She walked over to Emma Grace and hugged her goodbye.

"Tell Nick I said hey when he calls," Megan whispered in Emma Grace's ear. Two minutes after the couple left, Emma's phone started ringing. A smile appeared on Emma's face when she was greeted with Nick's voice on the other end of the phone line.