January with the Stokes

(AN: The first part happens during season 6; episode 11 "Werewolves" to explain Nick's minimal appearance in the episode. The second part of this story takes place before season 6; episode 12. The third part of this story takes place after season 6; episode 12 "Daddy's Little Girl." The last part takes place after season 6; episode 13 "Kiss-kiss, Bye-bye.")

Soon after Nick, Emma Grace, Katlin, Marie, and Maggie Hope returned home from spending Christmas with Nick's family, Nick started his thirty hours of foster care training that Clark County required for him to become the foster father of Katlin and Marie.

Emma Grace had been contemplating adopting the girls. However, she became Maggie Hope's legal guardian, and Nick was hurt. The next thing that stopped Emma Grace from adopting the girls was her unexpected pregnancy.

The agency that Emma Grace worked for wanted her to wait to attempt to adopt the girls because Nick was moving into Emma's house to help with the girls and Emma's pregnancy, and one of the girls' aunts was causing a hold on the girls' adoption by claiming to want the girls, but it wasn't the right time for her to take them.

"How are the classes going for you?" Emma Grace asked Nick when he got home one afternoon. Maggie Hope was taking a nap, and the girls were in their room playing dollhouse.

"I'm learning a lot of new information. I wish we could go ahead and adopt Katlin and Marie." Nick kissed Emma.

"I know. I want the girls too. Hopefully, the aunt will finally let us adopt them." Emma rubbed Nick's back.

"How did your doctor's appointment go?" Nick had wanted to go to Emma Grace to the check-up for the baby, but they had both agreed that Nick could not miss his foster parent class.

"Good. Little Bit and I are both as healthy as we should be." Emma Grace smiled as she removed one hand from Nick's back.

"What did the doctor say about the stuffy nose?"

"A stuffy nose is normal at seventeen weeks pregnant. It's part of my body getting ready for Little Bit to grow and arrive." Emma rubbed her lower back.

"Is your back hurting Sweetheart?" Nick asked noticing that Emma seemed to be in some pain.

"Yeah, but that's normal too." Emma gave Nick a reassuring smile.

"Well, why don't you go rest and let me make dinner. Please." Emma agreed and gave Nick a kiss before moving to the couch to rest before family dinner.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had been a slow week at the lab for Nick and a slow week at the office for Emma Grace. While at work, Emma had a few spells of dizziness. That's the reason she and Nick were resting on the couch while Katlin and Marie laid on a blowup mattress in the living room. nine-month-old Maggie Hope went between sitting on the mattress with her big sisters, or on the couch with her parents. The family was watching a movie, and Nick had his hand resting on Emma Grace's stomach.

"Da-Nick, will you put in another movie?" Seven-year-old Marie asked.

"Sure, Pumpkin." Emma Grace felt a flutter in her stomach when Nick moved his hand.

Emma didn't tell Nick about what she felt. She had seen enough on Nick's sisters' pregnancies to know that neither Nick nor the girls would be able to feel the baby's movements just yet. Therefore, she smiled and cherished this moment between her and her unborn child as she also witnessed the father-daughter bonding between Nick, Marie, Katlin, and Maggie Hope.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Why does this keep coming up?!" Emma Grace threw her hands up while pacing the floor. Nick had just revealed to Emma Grace that the case he was working on involved none other than Kelly Gordon. Kelly Gordon, the daughter of the man who buried Nick alive eight months ago. 

"Sweetheart, you need to calm down. This isn't good for you or Little Bit." Nick stood in front of Emma Grace to stop her from pacing. 

"I know. But, I don't understand why you have to keep reliving this." Emma Grace felt the tears slid down her face. Emma Grace let out a small shriek of frustration. "These stupid hormones!"

"Come here, Baby." Nick gathered Emma into his arms and held her.

Nick explained to Emma about the woman that was killed being involved in his kidnapping, and how he somewhat talked to Grissom about the recording that was in the lab.  Emma Grace held him while he cried when explaining how he watched Kelly Gordon die from an overdose. Nick promised Emma Grace that he would talk to his therapist about this drastic change in what happened to him.

Even though Nick did not keep regular appointments with the therapist now, he did make an appointment after the new events that took place at the lab. Nick had other people to think about that would be affected from his reaction to the news, and he wanted his family to come out stronger from all of the difficulties they had faced over the past eight months.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Greg, why don't you continue telling the stories," Emma Grace said before she took a bite of her pie.

Warrick, Greg, Sara, Nick, and Emma Grace were at Frank's Diner, the team's favorite place to grab an early breakfast after closing a case sometimes. The team ate their food while Greg filled Emma Grace in on everything about the case and the book he had been reading.

Emma Grace had known from the day that she met Greg that he had a passion for all things mob related in Las Vegas. Greg had a way of informing someone in a storytelling fashion, and Emma Grace believed he would make a great writer.

"You do obsess with the mob a lot Greg. Why not write a book." Sara agreed with Emma's idea of writing a book.

"Where would I start?" Greg asked.

"Where all stories start, Greg. At the beginning." Warrick smiled as he realized that the idea of turning a hobby into something else made the younger man happy.

"I'll be having some time off of work here soon. I could help you a little with the research." Emma Grace placed her hand on her slowly rounding stomach.

"You already started research on the Panam Heist. Just go from there," Nick told Greg. Nick turned, smiling at Emma Grace and said, "Just don't let the research stress you out, Gracie." Nick reached for Emma's hand and kissed it.

The team continued to be entertained by the stories that Greg had to tell them about the mob from the research he had already been doing.