After Grave Danger

(AN: Part 1 of 2. Takes place after season 5; episodes 24 and 25 "Grave Danger.")

For the past four weeks, Nick had been considering a life-changing decision. He was trying to decide if he was ready to be a father or not. Four weeks ago Emma Grace had become the legal guardian of Maggie Hope, Megan's daughter. Sadly, Megan had died during the birth. The only request Emma had of Nick was that they pause on dating, and Nick would think about the idea of being a father to Maggie Hope.

Four weeks later Nick had the same answer he had when he first laid eyes on Maggie Hope and saw Emma Grace hold the little girl. Yes, yes, he was ready to be a father, as long as it was Emma Grace by his side. He was just waiting for the right time to tell Emma Grace; he didn't want to overwhelm her. So, Nick was going about work as normal. Little did he know that everything was about to change for him and everyone he loved, again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emma Grace's world crashed down around her. She was trying to listen and comprehend what Bill was telling the family. She was trying to make sense of all the people crying; she was trying to keep up with all the travel plans that were quickly being made. But the only thing Emma Grace could understand were the words that made her want to throw up Nick's in the hospital. He was buried alive. He's in bad shape.

Nothing had been the same in the Stokes household since Bill had answered the phone. Emma Grace felt like she was a robot just going through the motions. Emma packed a bag as fast as she could and helped the younger nieces and nephews pack their bags. She helped the adults get the horses and other animals up. She helped put children in the cars they needed to be in and then she climbed into the backseat between Maggie's car seat and Ashley. Emma Grace found herself holding the young woman while she cried over her Uncle Nick.

The plane ride was a blur, and before Emma Grace knew it, the family was walking into their hotel rooms that were five minutes away from the hospital. Emma Grace went with Bill, Jillian, and Chris to the hospital first. Nick's doctor sat all of them down and explained Nick's injuries in detail and what his recovery would look like.

Emma Grace vaguely remembered Gil Grissom coming to talk to them along with Cathrine Willows. Emma Grace felt like she could scream because all that she wanted was to see Nick! Finally, Emma Grace and the three Stokes that were with her walked into Nick's hospital room. When Emma Grace saw Nick, she couldn't help but start crying. Chris quickly wrapped his arms around her in a brotherly way, and Emma Grace cried into his chest.

Nick was asleep, but Bill and Jillian still went over and talked to him, with tears in their eyes. Emma Grace stayed back and let Chris go to his baby brother's side next; he had silent tears running down his face too.

"Oh, Nicky!" The sob escaped Emma Grace's throat while she walked over to Nick's bedside. She looked at his hand to make sure that it wouldn't hurt him, and then gently picked up Nick's hand and held it.

"Nicky, I'm sorry! I'm sorry for pushing you away! I'm sorry I wasn't here sooner. I'm sorry this happened to you, but I'm here, and I'm not going to leave you," Emma Grace whispered and then sat down in the chair beside Nick's bed. Emma Grace did not move from that seat even when all the other siblings took turns to see Nick.

Emma Grace heard Bill telling the nurses to leave her alone and let her stay by his son's side, but Emma didn't take her eyes off of Nick. Emma Grace would call and check on her four-week-old adopted daughter, but the report was always that she was fine.

Emma Grace wasn't sure how much time had passed, but she remembered laying her head down beside his hand. "Emma, sweetie, why don't you use this pillow." Emma half-awake looked up to see Jillian holding out a pillow. Emma took it with a smile and then laid her head back down on Nick's bed. Before she fell back asleep, she felt someone cover her up with a blanket, but she never let go of Nick's hand.