Thanksgiving 2002

AN: takes place after season 3; episode 8 "Snuff." Sorry, this is a short chapter.)

"So, Lindsey, what do you think of Texas so far?" Emma Grace was sitting on the first set of seats in the back of the nine-passenger van that she, Megan, and Chris had driven to pick up Nick, Catherine Willows, her daughter Lindsey, and Catherine's mother for their stay at the Stokes house for Thanksgiving.

"It's really big." Emma Grace laughed as she said, "yes, yes it is."

"Ms. Flynn, where all have you lived while moving around the West Coast?" Megan was in the front passenger seat, but she turned around the best she could to carry on a conversation with the older woman.

"Please, call me Lilly. Washington, Organ, Nevada, and many places in California have been the places that I've lived." Megan had asked for more details, and for about twenty minutes Lilly had everyone's attention in the van as she recounted some of the more exciting places that she lived throughout the years.

"Catherine, Nicky told me that you and he had a case that brought up some memories for Nicky." Chris was driving, but he glances in the review mirror to make momentary eye contact with Catherine.

Catherine and Nick started telling the others about the street racing case they had solved back in September. And how it ended up being a young man who had been seeking revenge for his mother's death. The rest of the car ride to the Stokes house was filled with Chris, Megan, Emma Grace, and Nick filling Catherine, Lindsey, and Lilly about the life of a street racer, and the memories the four of them had from their racing days.

Catherine was helping Emma Grace, and Jillian Stokes set out the pies for the family's annual pie night when she heard one of Nick's nephew's ask if Nick had been involved in the arrest of Emily's favorite actor.

"Uncle Nicky! Tell me it isn't true!" There was a hint of desperation in Emily's voice.

"Emily, that little boy, who only thinks he's a man, killed two girls! Of course, I was happy to help put him behind bars for life." Nick's voice held no apology.

"But, Uncle Nick! He was the best actor that ever lived! Movies will never be the same again!"

"Emily, it's not the end of the world. Stop being so dramatic." Nick's nephew's voice indicated that this was normal for Emily.

"Emily, you are going to find a new favorite actor. The posters of that boy are coming off of your bedroom walls before I leave here," Nick informed Emily.

Catherine looked over at Emma Grace and was relieved to see that the younger woman was laughing at the shenanigans that they heard in the living room because Catherine couldn't help but laugh too.

After most of the pie was gone that night, Catherine found herself sitting among Nick's family and participating in their game night with her mom and daughter. Catherine's mom was in the middle of a competitive game of chess with Nick's nephew, Andrew. Lindsey, Catherine's daughter, was sitting in Emma Grace's lap while Emma Grace, Nick, Emily, and Ashley played Uno.

"Joshua, how was soccer, and how's the swim team? Still liking the sports?" Nick stopped and made eye contact with his nephew.

"Great. I'm trying to talk Mom and Dad into buying a pool." Catherine laughed at the face Nick made. Soon, the story of the mannequin in the pool during a party was told. The stories of what Nick and Catherine had seen while working cases were told for almost three hours. Catherine found it refreshing that Nick's family truly did care about the work that she and Nick did on a daily bases.

The next two days were filled with Catherine and her family getting to know Nick's family. Catherine loved every one of Nick's family members. She also enjoyed watching Nick interact with Emma Grace. Catherine wasn't blind, it was obvious Emma Grace, and Nick was in love with each other.

"How did you like Texas?" Nick was sitting beside Catherine on the plane ride home.

"I don't know how you stay away from this place for so long."

"I know I can always come back. That helps."

"When are you going to tell Emma Grace that you're in love with her?" Catherine gave Nick a knowing smile when he turned a shocked expression to her.

"It's complicated, Catherine."

"If you say so," Catherine smirked as Nick shook his head and turned his attention to Lindsey. He's a goner, Catherine thought as the plane took off.