iii

/ / Chapter Three: A Desire to Cuddle / /

                          Kace was grumpy when he woke up. At first, he wasn't sure why; yes, he had class, but that wasn't bad enough to cause the mood that weighed him down. Though it took a few minutes spent sleepily staring at his bedroom ceiling, Kace eventually figured out what exactly was causing his sulking. Ariel. The pretty year eleven hadn't gone to the previous night's party, leaving Kace without his fuck-buddy-slash-crush. Kace hadn't gotten to see the hair that was like tendrils of moonlight with a hint of sunshine and eyes that seemed to hold the world and all its secrets. He didn't get to hear that drunken giggle or that happy, fond, slurring voice.

                          Didn't get to smell that beautiful mixture of chocolate and cologne and something like roses-- god, Kace had never even really thought about roses until he met Ariel. Now he found himself thinking of pretty blond curls and pale green eyes every time he saw the brightly coloured flowers.

                            Kace didn't get to touch Ariel's soft face, feel plush lips against his. He didn't get to hold the older boy's large hand as they staggered towards a bedroom, drunkenly giggling between kisses.  

                          Kace hadn't gotten to taste Ariel's alcohol-riddled mouth with a beautiful underlay of sugar. How the older boy always seemed like he'd just eaten a dozen cupcakes, Kace didn't know, but he adored it. The younger brunette was enamoured with the way Ariel was so harsh and bitter on the outside when he was insulting Kace at school or kicking and hitting him, but sweet and sugary on the inside. When he was drunk and allowed his thorns to melt away, the boy revealed his inner rose. Sweet and kind and gentle, always brushing his hands across Kace's face and murmuring complimentary words.

                           Last night, the year nine hadn't gotten the privilege and the ecstasy of Ariel.

                            So, yeah. Kace was grumpy when he woke up. His pale face was contorted into a milder variation of a scowl and his lips were particularly pouty. Dressing slowly, Kace's attire reflected his mood. Grey skinny jeans and a black, off-shoulder shirt with fringe that hung in three different layers. The shirt was just long enough to reach the waistband of his jeans, but it slipped upwards to reveal pale skin when Kace moved. As grumpy as he was, the year nine was a naturally cheery person and couldn't help but choose baby pink heels over the black boots that would've gone better with his outfit. Kace did his best to balance it out with a matching choker made out of hearts. Kace's mood seemed to have improved as he dressed, inspiring the few pops of colour. Being able to choose clothes that'd been deemed "feminine" still made a happy little shiver run down the teenager's spine.

                            "I look hot," Kace announced as he eyed his reflection. Greyish-blue eyes slid over a muscled stomach, travelled up and down long legs, and scrutinized every strand of chocolate-coloured hair. "Let's just hope Ari thinks so, too."

-

                            "Kasshole!" Finn greeted Kace happily as they walked up to one another, along with a redheaded beauty at Finn's side.

                            "You look hot," the redheaded girl said with a smile, revealing pearly white teeth behind a red-lipsticked mouth.

                            "I know," Kace grinned, linking arms with his two best friends. Finn Kreek and Keegan Artuit, a dyed redhead and a natural redhead, cheerily supplied conversation.

                            "Black boots would be cute with those clothes," Keegan said, playfully bumping her hip against Kace's. "You have really good legs, show them off." Before Kace could explain his need for some sort of colour in his attire, he glimpsed a certain boy with hair like autumn sunshine.

                            "I'll be right back," Kace said, walking backwards and grinning at his friends. The two older teenagers chuckled, used to their best friend's mammoth crush on Ariel.

                            Kace strolled up to the year eleven's side, leaning on the locker next to Ariel's. The older boy looked to be half-asleep, leaning heavily against his locker with his eyelids drooping. Quietly, Kace walked up behind him, preparing to jumpscare the boy. "Boo," the younger boy whispered against his neck, smiling at the instant goosebumps that formed.  Ariel practically leapt out of his skin, shivering and doing a ridiculous yet cute little hop. Kace giggled.

                            Ariel groaned dramatically, swatting sleepily at Kace's chest. "I thought I told you that I hate that word," he whined. Kace was momentarily in awe of the childish voice, gazing at Ariel. He looked so cute, and it became clear that being exceptionally tired made Ariel act exceptionally petulant. Kace was filled with the strong desire to wrap the boy in blankets and pet his hair. "Go away, you stupid hippopotamus," Ariel mumbled quietly.

                            Kace did everything he could to suppress a loud giggle, managing to keep it to a soft squeaking sound. "Why a hippo?" he said instead.

                            "'Cause Chance really likes telling me about his sort-of-cousin whose last name sounds like it. Don't worry your stupid, little ego just because you've got this idea that being fat is some horrible thing," Ariel said, still sounding like he'd just woken up and hadn't fully come back into reality. Kace found himself nonplussed; he stared blankly at Ariel, who looked like he was trying to find a way to fall asleep whilst still standing up. Soft eyes were half-hidden by eyelids that blinked open and closed slowly, along with a pout that was just barely there. Ariel wore a giant bunnyhug with the hood up, allowing just a few curls to escape and beautifully frame his sleepy face.

                             Kace gasped as, with no obvious warning, Ariel fell sideways. Ripped from his haze, the year nine threw his hands out and caught the boy against his chest. "Oh, my god," he yelped under his breath, rubbing Ariel's back as the boy groaned, softly and adorably. "Baby, are you okay?" Kace cooed, his voice lost in between amused and worried. He considered making an I-guess-you-just-fell-for-me joke but decided it was too easy.

                            "I'm fine," Ariel complained, scowling through a yawn and shoving the younger boy away. Kace continued to rub the boy's back, unable to stop himself when Ariel was too tired to be as difficult as usual. "Two late-nighters in a row," Ariel mumbled. Kace instantly felt... something. It was some ineffable emotion that came from Ariel supplying information without Kace needing to ask.

                            "Awe, baby, do you want to go cuddle and sleep in my car?" Kace was only partially joking; the other half of him loved the idea of wrapping a sleepy Ari in his arms and stroking his curls as he slept.

                            "Fuck off," Ariel grumbled, pushing him away. "Or at least get me some coffee."

a/n sooo