xii

/ / Chapter Twelve: Stress and Sex / /

Kace slunk across a somewhat familiar house, his oceanic eyes locked onto a muscular frame. Fingers wrapped around a red solo cup, Ariel was leaning against the breakfast bar. A shit-faced girl was talking at him through drunken bouts of laughter. "And then- and then-" she was repeating, struggling to speak. Upon seeing Kace with his gaze fixated on Ariel, the pink-haired girl staggered away.

"Hey, honey," Kace greeted, slinging an arm around Ariel's shoulders. Giggling, the older boy leaned heavily against Kace's side. "Wow, you're really drunk," the brunette commented. He watched as Ariel struggled to move his legs so that he could stand without the breakfast bar's assist. Fondness crept through Kace's chest into his heart where it was pumped into his bloodstream. Though it usually wouldn't have bothered him, the constant stress of asking Ariel out poisoned the sweet emotion. The idea of that fondness not being reciprocated, the mental image of Ariel laughing in his face... it was like cyanide seeping in alongside his blood.

"Your face is sparkly," Ariel said childishly, interrupting the blond's angsty trail of thought.

"Yeah," Kace giggled, batting away the large hands of his companion before Ariel could touch his face. The boy chose to rest them on Kace's shoulders instead. Silver, red, and the occasional blue rhinestone decorated the year nine's face, shining brilliantly. They were placed under his eyes and above his eyebrows, stacked in a beautiful line on his glabella and framing his forehead.

It took mere moments for Ariel to grow bored with the rhinestones. "Let's dance," he said, using Kace like a crutch as he walked them onto the living room/makeshift dance floor. Giggling with his eyebrows raised, the year nine moved carefully alongside Ariel. When the pair finally reached the crowd of people they immersed themselves in it. Ariel wrapped his arms around Kace's neck, pressing his entire body against the brunette's.

They moved fluidly, with Ariel swaying his hips and dropping the occasional kiss on Kace's exposed shoulder. A salmon pink, off-shoulder top with black sleeves hugged his mildly curvy frame, along with black jeans covered in space-themed decals. Time rapidly passed and the room rose in temperature and the music quickened. Ariel adapted, speeding up the movement of his hips and the regularity of his kisses. Soon, the swaying motion turned into grinding that had Kace's breaths coming faster and faster. "Babe," he eventually panted, placing a hand on Ariel's back and sliding it down his spin. "Let's take this upstairs, yeah?"

Slowly leaning forward as if to share a secret of all importance, the year eleven pressed his lips against Kace's ear. "You do realise we're in Healy's house?"

Kace shrugged. "We're mates; it'll be fine. Besides, he lives in a damn mansion with, like, hella rooms; what's he expecting?" Giggling drunkenly, Ariel allowed the younger boy to lead him upstairs. Together, they stumbled into a lavish guest room and collapsed onto the bed. Lips connected immediately, hands sliding under shirts and fingers grabbing at buttons.

"You should wear more sparklies," Ariel giggled, kissing around the rhinestones on Kace's face with as much precision as a drunk boy could. "Sober-Ariel might want to-" Ariel stopped talking to focus on grinding his hips against Kace's. "-Might want to smash if you wore rhinestones. It's-" Another pause for the year eleven to kiss Kace.

The younger boy's kiss was sloppy; he was intensely focused on the idea of "sober-Ariel wanting to smash." What did that mean? Was that a hint; drunk words are sober thoughts, right? Or was it just due to the immense intake of alcohol? Alcohol mixed with stress mixed with Ariel's lips exploring his face and neck and collarbones and fuck, Kace couldn't breathe. It was all too good but awful at the same time; bittersweet was the best word he could come up with to describe it. Even that didn't come close.

"Are you even paying attention?" Ariel whined. "I'm hickey-ing the fuck out of your neck and rubbing my dick on yours and you're staring at the ceiling," he complained. "Unless your mother's body is up there with a yellow-eyed demon lighting it on fire, keep your damn eyes off it. If you're not into me and this then... get out."

There was a long pause during which Kace gazed at Ariel with an indescribable feeling of something very close to love. The older boy stared back expectantly, swaying as he awaited an answer. "Did you just make a Supernatural reference?" Kace finally said.

Ariel giggled with a mix of intoxication and exasperation. "I'd kick you if my dick wasn't so hard."

"You mean kick me out?" Kace felt his heart move. It didn't quite drop, but instead wavered. Almost as if it'd started to sink, but landed on a net at the last second.

"No, silly," Ariel said, rolling back on top of Kace. "I like you too much." The blond reconnected their lips before Kace could respond or beg for more information. Bittersweet.

a/n haha 50 words shorts sorry  

p.s. someone buy me those jeans xoxo