ix

/ / Chapter Nine: A Singular Worm / /

                                    Kace was torn from sleep by a buzzing off to his left. Refusing to open his eyes, the brunette rolled over to turn it off. He went over a warm, body-shaped lump as he moved, but was still too tired to register what it was. Hand flailing, Kace grabbed the source of the noise--a phone--and clicked blindly at the power and home button along with the screen until it quieted. Sighing thankfully, the exhausted boy curled up against the body-shaped lump and passed out.

                                    After what felt like minutes, Kace was once again parted with sleep. "Wake up," an Australian voice groaned, followed by a heavy fabric hitting his head. "And hurry the fuck up, we're going to be late." Wincing at the pain in his head, Kace sat up to see Ariel fully dressed and sitting at his vanity. Throwing the fur blanket off of him, Kace stood and walked over to Ariel's wardrobe. He claimed a pair of Ariel's jeans and a pale blue sweater.

                                    "This is cute," the year nine said happily. "Why don't you wear it?" Ariel shrugged blandly, clutching at his head and suggesting that Kace keep it.

                                    "Hurry your ass up," he continued, looking at his phone for the time. "You have about one minute." Swearing loudly, Kace did his best to fluff his sleep-mussed hair into a quiff. "That did nothing," Ariel announced, once again checking his phone. "We have to go. My head hurts like a bitch and it's your fault; you're driving."

                                    "But I look like shit," Kace whined, his voice sitting on the edge of panic. The brunette felt unbelievably ugly and the idea of going to school, having people see him... Kace wanted to run home. Whether he would hide or immediately shower and fix his hair, Kace wasn't quite sure. Ariel gave him a strange look. God, Ariel. Kace hated the idea of Ariel's pretty green eyes being forced to take in the sight of him. "Can't I just go shower or-" Ariel cut him off.

                                    "Jesus Christ, you look fine," the older boy snapped. "You're pretty even with flat hair, you dumbass." Kace stared blankly at Ariel; he wasn't sure he'd ever heard sober-Ariel compliment him. Uncontrollable jubilation fought its way into Kace's bloodstream and swept through him. A large, dopey grin nearly split his face his half. "Stop grinning like an idiot and let's go," Ariel snapped, his voice tipping off at the end. He winced, a hand flying to his forehead.

                                    "Okay," Kace replied, unable to wipe the smile from his features.

-

                                    "Your favourite animal is a worm?" Kace asked softly. Ariel nodded. "I thought it was your biggest fear?" Ariel nodded. "So which is it, favourite or fear?" Ariel nodded. Kace giggled. "You're useless," he announced, making sure to keep his voice quiet for the sake of both his head and Ariel's.

                                    "Multiple worms are terrifying," Ariel mumbled, "but one singular worm is not terrifying." Struggling to keep his giggles at a hangover-appropriate level, Kace covered his mouth and bit his fist. Ariel glanced up, commenting on it. "You look like someone's sucking your dick under the table," he said.

                                    "If only it was you," Kace teased.

                                    "Believe me, if I was sucking your dick you wouldn't be able to shut up," Ariel replied. Kace's jaw quite literally dropped. Waiting for Ariel to follow up with a proper explanation or something, he stared at his crush with his mouth hanging open. After an excruciatingly long wait, Ariel spoke again. "I didn't say I was going to. It was a hypothetical, dumbass."

                                    Struggling to regain control over the conversation, Kace responded with, "Yet you let me stay in your bed last night. You were sober when I walked in." He waggled his eyebrows. "Want me to come over again tonight? You can follow through on that dick-sucking promise." Although he was teasing, a little flame of hope was still diminished when Ariel kicked Kace off his chair.

                                    The younger brunette lay on the paint-spattered floor, watching as Ariel rested his foot on Kace's stomach and continued turning his clay into a singular, non-terrifying worm. Having already finished his art assignment, Kace was content gazing up at Ariel's long, nimble fingers as they pressed and moulded the squishy substance. "Why do you always rush your projects?" the year eleven muttered. "Go make it better or something." Kace shrugged, though he knew exactly why he always finished early. It was to hang out with Ariel; getting a stream of average grades was worth the time he was able to spend with the older boy.

                                    "What are you doing now?" Kace filled the quiet when Ariel put his finished worm off to the side and grabbed a larger hunk of clay. He began rolling the lump into a fat cylinder before responding.

                                    "Making the log for the worm to sit on."

                                    "Right," Kace replied with a little smile. "The log for the one singular worm that is not terrifying."

                                    "Please stop talking," Ariel said suddenly. "My head hurts." Kace was temporarily nonplussed, unsure whether he should feel hurt or unbothered or something else completely.

                                    Finally, he chose to react with his usual flirtation and cockiness. Rolling to his feet, Kace took a few steps to stand behind Ariel and placed his hands on the boy's sweater-clad shoulders. He rubbed the tense muscles through soft, olive green fabric. "What are you-?" Ariel started.

                                    "Shh," Kace murmured. "We stopped talking, remember?" Nodding slightly, Ariel fell silent. He didn't protest; not as Kace rubbed the stress from his shoulders. Not as the blond's hands traced over his tanned neck and found their way into his hair. Not when Kace started to gently toy with his champagne-coloured curls. Not even when Kace fondly mumbled, "God, I love y- never mind."

a/n so.. yeah.