xiv

/ / Chapter Fourteen: Shot in the Heart (With Cupid's Arrow) / /

                                    "You're stupid!" Ariel giggled, punching Kace in the shoulder. The pair were crouched behind a thick black barrier, heavy black vests hanging off their shoulders. Kace's laser tag gun hung loosely in his hand and his vest was flashing greenish-yellow. The two boys were playing with a collection of teenagers and a few adults; a large man in a suit had just shot Kace. Luckily, they were playing a version with multiple strikes before being forced to sit on the side with a strobing red vest and malfunctioning gun.

                                    "It's not my fault," Kace whined. "He is trying way too hard for a 40-year-old in a three-piece suit."

                                    Ariel scoffed. "Don't be ageist just because you're bitter," he replied. "You're way too salty for a 15-year-old in a big shirt and shorts," he mocked.

                                    "I look hot, don't lie," Kace retorted. It a cocky statement and Kace knew that, but he also knew that he did look hot. The year nine was the type of person who was confident, but only when he'd dressed nicely and styled his hair. When Kace had woken up that morning with flat, mildly greasy hair and a zit on his chin, the brunette didn't feel hot. He hadn't felt confident. He'd felt disgusting and ugly. It was a feeling that only went away after showering and pulling clothes on and applying concealer.

                                    "Stop fishing for compliments," Ariel said, distracted by a short girl sneaking past. Before Kace could deny the claim, the older boy was waddling sideways, still crouched down. Kace found himself comparing Ariel to a penguin--a very large, blond-haired penguin. Aiming his plastic gun, the year eleven shot the girl in the back and watched as her vest turned red. Her gun emitted a loud blaring sound for a few seconds, and the brunette pouted.

                                    "Fuck, babe, why are you so good at laser tag?" Kace said, giggling lightly and leaning on Ariel's shoulder. Unfortunately, since the pair was crouching with limited stability, the older boy tipped like a tree. Flailing and quietly yelping, Kace fell with him. The younger boy landed on Ariel's chest, their faces inches apart. Sharing the same air with Ariel was intoxicating; Kace breathed in his sugary sweet scent and gazed into the boy's green eyes.

                                    "You're so annoying," Ariel complained, half-bending his knees with his feet on the ground and sitting up. Kace ended up between the year eleven's legs, his knees propped up between the blond boy's hips and thighs. "Get off," Ariel giggled, scrambling away with the grace of a newborn armadillo. Too focused on resisting the urge to lean forward and kiss the older boy, Kace barely moved. "Kace, you idiot, get up," Ariel said. His voice was perfectly suspended between annoyance and what Kace hoped was fondness. The sound of his name in his crush's mouth sent happy, little tingles and shivers down the brunette's spine.

                                    Despite the joy weaving through his bones, Kace managed to crawl off of Ariel's legs and recreate his crouching penguin pose. Meanwhile, Ariel stood and bent at the waist to scamper between short walls in order to see the large scoreboard. When the year eleven returned to Kace's side, Kace looked up with a half-smile as he waited for Ariel to speak. A slight smirk was the only warning he received before Kace was shot in the chest.

                                    Yelping in surprise, the 15-year-old dove away and hid behind a different barrier. "Betrayal!" he called. Kace's originally yellow vest flashed reddish-orange.

                                    "We're the only two left," Ariel responded, giggling evilly. "I'm going to kick your ass."

                                    "Blasphemy!" Kace shrieked. Letting out little screams and pants as he moved, the lanky brunette ran and dodged between black-painted half walls to avoid Ariel. Both boys knew Kace couldn't aim for shit. "Wait, no, the winner gets a $100 gift card to the shopping centre! Ari-ri," Kace whined. "C'mon, princess, I need clothes! And panties! Panties are like a gift for you, too!"

                                    Ariel snickered, popping his head out around a wooden barrier. "I'm still going to kick your ass," he said, grinning carelessly. Whining theatrically, Kace managed to curl himself up against the wall while still standing.

                                    "Don't hurt me," he said, speaking like a small child. Ariel poked his laser tag gun out alongside his head, aiming for Kace's vest. Despite the fact that he was about to lose the strangely competitive game, all Kace could focus on was the gleeful little smile on Ariel's face. It was adorable. Everything about Ariel in that moment was so damn cute. His evil giggles, the way his large hands looked tiny on the plastic gun. The way the usually placid and noncompetitive boy was full of laughter and energy. Kace was so fond.

                                    Suddenly, no longer able to experience the adoration for Ariel without results, Kace spat out the words he'd been toying with for days. "Will you go out with me?"

                                    "What?" A crease formed between Ariel's eyebrows. "Are you serious?"

                                    Having expected a derisive snort and a harsh no, Kace was unsure how to react. He giggled awkwardly before replying. "Yes, fucking yes," he said, grinning and emitting breathy, overwhelmed laughter. Kace wasn't sure who initiated it, but suddenly the two boys were kissing. While sober. Butterflies erupted in Kace's brain and flowers started to bloom in his feet. Twittering bluebirds danced and twirled in his chest while fairies crept along the vines that lined his legs.

                                    One of Ariel's arms wrapped around his waist while the other tangled in Kace's gelled hair. Bunching up handfuls of the older boy's shirt in his hands, Kace pressed closer and clung on. Years of crushing with no avail led to feeling like Ariel might disappear or shove him away. Kace planned to savour it for as long as he could. Eventually, though, they were forced to pull away, red-lipped and smiling. Ariel took that moment to shoot Kace in the chest.

                                    "We're still going on a date," he reassured, wrapping a muscular arm around Kace whilst the year nine's vest blared violently.

-

                                    "Why'd you ask me out?" Ariel's head tilted slightly as he spoke. Kace was temporarily distracted by the cute movement. While he waited for a response, the year eleven sipped his sugar-filled coffee. The pair sat in a coffeeshop, having not wanted to part quite so soon after laser tag.

                                    "What do you mean?" Kace finally said.

                                    "You're Mr. Fuck-Boy Popular...." There was long pause. For a moment, Kace thought he saw water form in Ariel's eyes. "I'm a fucking idiot," the older boy muttered. "I don't want a week-long fling with you, Kace." Ariel started to stand, ready to walk away.

                                    "Wait!" Kace cried, stumbling over his long legs to stand up. Grabbing his crush's wrist, the brunette attempted to pull Ariel back. "I don't either," he said, but the year eleven continued walking. "Ari!" The boy's steps didn't falter. "I've never slept with anyone but you!" Something about that statement made Ariel stop. Whether it be the word choice or the desperate truthfulness in Kace's voice, the younger boy didn't know, but he was thankful. "I've never slept with anyone else but you, Ari," he reiterated, speaking softly and collapsing back into the booth along with Ariel.

                                    "Really?" Ariel eventually said.

                                    "Yeah," Kace said, calming down. "Never even kissed anyone else." Ariel leaned forward and connected their lips.

a/n lil baby virgin(not really) kacey aw