xi

/ / Chapter Eleven: Love Only Grows Stronger / /

unedited

Kace collapsed onto his bed, scowling at the ceiling. His joints felt tight and he couldn't stop curling his toes and stretching his fingers. The boy felt romantically frustrated. Not sexually frustrated; all Kace wanted was to cuddle and hold hands, he wanted short, sweet kisses in passing and sleepily muttered I love you's. A kiss pressed against his forehead or someone's shoulder to sleepily rest his head on--no, Kace didn't want just anyone. He wanted Ariel. Ariel, with his cute little giggle and sunshiny smile.

Though Kace had wanted to date the older boy since they'd met years earlier, in the current moment the feeling was particularly strong. Stronger than it'd ever been, to the point where he was ready to run back into Ariel's room despite having just been kicked out. Luckily, Kace was able to quell that urge by envisioning the grumpy rejection he was sure he'd receive.

But if not right away, then when? Rolling around on his bed, the boy groaned with frustration. Kace allowed his grey-blue eyes to zip recklessly around the room to mimic his racing thoughts. When do I ask him out? How do I ask him out? Should I even fucking bother to ask him out? Kace answered that question almost immediately. Yes, a thousand times yes. He was scared of rejection, of making a stupid mistake and demolishing any chance to date, to properly fall in love with, to marry Ariel. But the idea of just giving up and allowing himself to mess around with Ariel until the boy found someone else? That was absolutely petrifying.

Spine-chilling fear didn't alter the fact that Kace had no idea how to ask someone out. Despite his fuck-boy, player reputation, the 15-year-old had never dated anyone. He'd never even kissed or had sex with anyone other than Ariel.

"What the fuck do I do?" Kace groaned. Letting out a long, puppyish whine, he threw himself to the side and allowed his head to hang off the edge of his bed. Blood slowly started to filter down with gravity, causing his face to bloom with a dark red tint. Kace stayed in that position, blindly hoping that the increased blood flow to his brain would cause stroke of brilliance. Unfortunately, all it did was make his jaw go numb until the brunette was forced to sit up.

Thoughts continued to swerve and race through Kace's head like a demolition derby in which bad ideas replaced vehicles. Ask him at a party. Ariel would be drunk and adorable, but Kace knew sober-Ariel would be pissed or simply forget about the whole thing. Just ask him whenever the time seemed right. Kace would keep it in mind, but the idea was too open-ended for him to seriously consider it. Set up a big, romantic picnic with candles and a sunset. There weren't enough words for Kace to describe just how terrible that suggestion was. The picnic was a cute idea, but most definitely not to ask Ariel out. It was too overdramatic and, really, Kace was starting to question his own sanity.

Rolling onto his side with a wince, the blond grabbed his phone. With a practiced ease, he scrolled through his contacts and and selected someone to call. After two rings, Finn picked up. "Hey, Kacey. What's up?"

"I'm in love with Ariel," Kace replied.

"Okay," Finn said. "Isn't that something you should be calling him about, not me?"

Kace snickered. "Not when I don't have a flying, fucking clue about how to ask him out," he whined. "Please assist."

There was a long pause before Finn spoke. "You do realise I'm aromantic? As in I experience no romantic attraction? You'd be better off asking your dog for advice on speaking German."

Groaning and laughing at the same time, Kace threw himself back on the bed. "You're useless!" he announced. "Help me, anyways; you've seen The Notebook."

"I've also watched anime but I don't know how to make my tears sparkle or turn my pupils into stars," Finn responded. He managed to sound uninterested yet happy to listen to Kace's problems. It was a skill the younger brunette had never been able to master.

"You're so annoying," Kace groaned. "Can't you just tell me what to do?"

"Well, I have been wanting new speakers for my room," Finn quipped. "I could tell you to buy me one." Kace replied with a long groan of exasperation. "Okay!" Finn laughed, surrendering. "Why don't you just ask him to a movie or something?"

Kace cursed loudly. "I didn't even think about what we were going to do!" He let out another long, theatrical whine.

"Wait, then what did you want me to do?" Kace heard a thump, one that he assumed was due to Finn flopping back on his bed.

"Tell me when and how to ask him out!" Kace snapped, though he sounded more stressed and overwhelmed than angry. "Also, is a picnic a good idea? In the daytime. Without candles."

"When he's sober," Finn offered. "And... I dunno, just say it? Dude, again, I'm aro."

"Useless!" Kace repeated. "I'll call Keegan, but what about the picnic?"

"Sure," Finn agreed. "Good call on the candles and daytime thing." There seemed to be a question mark at the end of each sentence.

Kace sighed. "Useless," he repeated.

"Aro!" Finn retorted.

a/n wow lots of dialogue there sorry