xvi

/ / Chapter One: Life Made a Caterpillar / /

                                    Stormy eyes met their reflection in a dirty mirror. A 14-year-old Kace Gaare struggled to look down, scared to see his close-to-naked body. Slowly dragging his gaze over his acne-spattered face and past his chubby cheeks, Kace's eyes fell upon his chest. The teenager saw excess skin and fat that sat in rolls when he bent forwards and protruded outwards when he stood straight. Arms without any muscle and a small amount of fat. Thick thighs with pale skin touching and hips with love handles that Kace held nothing but contempt for.

                                    Black boxer briefs fit tightly below his hips, pressing so closely to his skin that they left red patches. Matching red marks stretched across the brunette's stomach where the skin had folded while he'd been slouching. Redness spread across his face behind the acne. Tilting his head forwards, Kace stared at the many chins that formed with distaste.

                                    "Ugly," he murmured. After pinching harshly at the skin of his tummy, the young teenager watched as another red patch of skin appeared. Kace stared for a few minutes longer before violently whipping himself to face away and throwing himself onto the bed. Before the 14-year-old could decide what to do next, a chubby caterpillar with red spots scooted across his pillow and into view. I look just like it, Kace thought. I'm a fucking caterpillar.

-

                                    "Bye, Mum," Kace said, his backpack weighing down his shoulders with the weight of his swim trunks and towel. Though he had no intention of using them, the boy brought it to appease his mother. Since her school had never been on exciting trips on a kid, Gracie Gaare was living vicariously through her son's trip to the local pool and waterpark.

                                    "Have fun swimming," Gracie called, blowing a pink lipsticked kiss at her son. The brunette woman was a bit ditzy but made up for it in kindness and love. Stomach gurgling nervously, Kace pretended to catch it before trudging out of the house.

                                    Just over an hour later, the 14-year-old was sat on a cold, wet bench. He was clad in the baggy sweatpants and oversized shirt that he'd pulled on that morning, except sitting on the soggy pool bench had dampened his clothing slightly. Even so, Kace didn't move. Rather, the brunette sat and unseeingly watched scantily clad teenagers wander and paddle around. So focused on wondering how a passing brunette didn't flash everyone when she moved, Kace didn't notice a tall redhead approaching. She wore a checkered bikini with a matching choker and two small gold necklaces. Despite being at the pool, the girl wore a face full of makeup and bracelets lined her wrists and forearms.

                                    "Hey," the girl greeted, gracefully sitting on the bench next to Kace. Even while leaning forward, her pale stomach didn't create any rolls. "I'm Keegan," she continued, resting her arms on her legs. Kace scowled jealously at the way her thighs still looked slim while sitting.

                                    "Kace," he eventually reciprocated in a mumble. Feeling unbelievably inferior, the brunette bent his legs and rested his bare feet on the bench so that his thighs were against his chest.

                                    "Why aren't you swimming?" Keegan questioned. While speaking, she absently pulled the straps of her bikini top off of her shoulders and let it rest on her biceps. The redhead rubbed her shoulders and tossed her hair back to fully expose the smooth skin.

                                    Kace shrugged, but Keegan wasn't discouraged. "What year are you in? I'm a year eleven."

                                    "Eight," Kace replied softly, expecting the older girl to walk away immediately.

                                    Instead, she grinned and slung a thin arm around his shoulders. "Really? You seem... older, for some reason." Kace nodded blandly, used to hearing that particular statement. Even when he was barely eight or nine, before the self-hatred had started to develop, there'd been kids years older than him that'd flirted or attempted to befriend him. You're wise beyond your years, Gracie had teased. Kace knew he was beyond his years, but wouldn't exactly call it wise. Wise would imply that he'd experienced enough to put him on the same level as someone years older. Kace most definitely had not experienced enough to be considered wise in any way. Wise was a word for someone like Ariel Iemata. A while back, Kace had seen the year ten dropping his siblings off at the neighbouring primary school. If he ever underwent a drastic change that was enough to make him attractive, Kace would do everything in his power to woo the older boy. Not that he'd thought about it or anything.

                                    "What're you thinking about?" Keegan's voice interrupted Kace's thoughts.

                                    "Ariel Iemata," Kace muttered without thinking.

                                    "Who? The object of your," Keegan waggled her eyebrows, "affections?"

                                    "The beautiful year ten who I'm in love with," Kace replied, unsure why he was spilling his secrets to the unknown girl. The redhead gave off best friend vibes, like the pair was sitting together during a sleepover dishing out secrets.

                                    "Aw," Keegan cooed, leaning against Kace. "Are you dating?"

                                    The younger boy scoffed, speaking with a wry note in his voice. "I forgot to mention, he doesn't know I exist." Keegan laughed loudly, leaning heavily on her companion's shoulder as she did. Kace wasn't sure what about his comment was funny enough to justify that sort of laughter.

                                    "What's your last name?" Keegan asked.

                                    "Gaare?" Kace said. Confused by the random question, the statement came out with a lilt at the end.

                                    "Kace Gaare, I like you."

a/n like i said in the beginning, the body-hate is just for the plot. everyone!!is!!beautiful!!