Going With The Flow

Teddy made his first phone call before the door of his London apartment had closed behind him. It was an easy choice, who to call, he didn't have a lot of options. The recent calls list on his phone was rather depressing considering he was supposed to be one of the most popular people on the planet. He didn't want to think about that, instead he focused on the ringing in his ear.

"You better be bleeding little brother," said Lily, her voice rough with sleep.

"Is Luke in love with me?" asked Teddy, ignoring the fact that he'd completely forgotten to check the time difference.

Lily didn't reply, and when Teddy checked he saw that she'd ended the call without a word. He wanted to be angry but it was about 3AM in Sydney so he probably shouldn't have called if it wasn't an emergency. Still, it felt like an emergency so he moved onto the next person on his recent calls list.

"Yes Luke is in love with you," said Alice before Teddy could even ask. "Now fuck off."

That was odd, thought Teddy, but he didn't have time to dwell on it because while Alice had answered his question it really only made him more confused. Unfortunately, Alice hung up before he could ask for clarification. She had been clear though, there was no room for misinterpretation there. Luke was in love with him, now he just had to figured out how to deal with that.

Teddy thought about fixing himself a drink before his next call but he decided against it. He'd managed to make it through a seven hour flight without alcohol, he could definitely make a phone call without it, probably. He did decide it would be best if he took his bag off his shoulder and sat down first, just incase he passed out from fear or something equally dramatic.

The couch in his London apartment was much nicer than the one in Sydney, it had arms for starters and a calming floral pattern that reminded Teddy of someone else's Grandmother. Teddy's own grandmother was a cold woman that probably would have loved the horrible grey couch Teddy had left in Sydney. Teddy's grandmother explained a lot about Teddy's mother but that was a problem for another day. But Teddy liked to imagine someone else grandmother would have loved his London couch.

It took more than a few minutes for Teddy to hype himself up enough to press call. For the sake of his pride he did not take note of how long it actually took for him to find the courage, but he knew it was probably longer than it should have been. It shouldn't have been that hard to call Luke, they were supposed to be best friends after all.

"Does it ever stop fucking raining here?" said Luke in lieu of hello.

"It's supposed to fine up soon I think," said Teddy vaguely recalling the sign he'd seen at the airport.

"This place is fucking cold and miserable," said Luke.

"Yeah," said Teddy barely listening to Luke's rant about the weather. Luke liked to complain about the weather, mainly so he could talk about how much better Sydney and LA were to everywhere else. Teddy had heard it all before, and fortunately it was a conversation that didn't really require a response.

"So Luke," continued Teddy in a sort of strange sing song tone that reminded him of high school girls talking to the only reasonably attractive teacher on staff.

"So Teddy," said Luke. Teddy could hear the smile in his voice as he mimicked.

"Can you just not for a moment?" asked Teddy, stomach in knots.

"Everything alright?" asked Luke.

"Fine yeah, no worries. It's cool."

"Do you need me to come round?" asked Luke.