Three Moments

"A week?" said Rah taking a deep breath to draw whatever she was feeling back deep inside. Teddy wasn't sure whether it was anger or frustration or something worse, he was just glad she was too professional to take it out on him.

"A little bit less maybe," said Teddy cringing at the way Rah flinched at his words.

"Okay," she said eyes closed rubbing the folded skin between her eyes. "Okay, one fucking week. Great. Better get fucking started then."

"If we can't do it-"

"I can fucking do it," said Rah looking at him with an intensity that seemed to dare Teddy to question her abilities again.

Teddy didn't dare. He raises his palms in surrender leaning backwards, away from any violence that might accidentally slip out of Rah's careful composure.

"You don't make it fucking easy do you?" asked Rah after a moment.

"I tried easy," he said sad eyes dripping to the floor. "It didn't have the desired results in the end."

We smile at each other for a moment a shared history in a look before Rah shifts the topic, "Is tonight going to be a fucking problem?"

He dismissed her concerns with a wave, "It'll be fine."

"Maybe it's better if—"

Teddy cuts her off before she can finish, "Don't."

"I'm not tryna be fucking mean Ted but if this isn't going anywhere we're better off maintaining momentum. With the Alice rumours—"

"I said don't Rah."

"Sorry but you wanted honesty."

"And I appreciate it, I do. But I'm an idiot that isn't ready to give up yet."

"Okay then. You're the boss."

Rah stood with a groan, grabbing her bag from the floor next to the chair Teddy had insisted she sit down on before they started talking. She pulled her phone out and was already calling someone when she stopped and looked at Teddy again, "I am glad you got your fucking shit together."

"Thanks," said Teddy.

"A little more warning next time?" she suggested.

"I'll keep that in mind," he said.

With a sigh that said she didn't believe him Rah walked away to work her magic leaving Teddy alone with his decisions.

He was not alone for long, just enough time to shower and sit on the bed in his underwear hating himself for a few minutes before he heard the door to his apartment open. His first instinct was to ask who it was, but then he remembered the rise in death threats he'd received since coming out and decided that hiding was probably a better idea. Teddy was about to dial emergency services when someone yelled from the living room.

"Come out and get this fucking over with Teddy," yelled Alice.

Teddy considered calling the police anyway and pretending he didn't know it was Alice but he'd gone and decided to be a better person. One that didn't run from difficult conversations so he grabbed a t-shirt and walked flatfooted towards his doom.

"Does this conversation require trousers?" he asked as he entered the living room. "Because that might be a deal breaker."

"Don't tell me Luke's nudist needs have rubbed off on you already," she said.

She sat on one of the kitchen benches with two reusable take away coffee cups in front of her. Teddy hoped she hadn't seen the pile of uneaten McDonalds in the garbage because she'd probably add an environmental element to the upcoming lecture.