Chapter Thirty-Four

Violet stared out at the encampment that was now her army. Tents and campfires went on for as far as she could see. Soldiers were sharpening their weapons, cooking small animals over the fire and many were training with each other. The sight of so many men that were under her control made her very anxious. She was used to training and traveling and fighting with the Unsullied and even the Second Sons. But those were both her sisters armies. This one was hers. They swore fealty to her, bending the knee to her alone, and she didn't even know where to start. 

Castle Black was small, there was not enough room for her two thousand men army. And surely having them camp out outside their gates was not something they would enjoy. She came to Castle Black to help Jon, under the advisement of Varys. But acquiring an army was not in her plans. Her sister would always need more soldiers, but right now Violet hadn't the slightest notion of what to do with them.

"Pardon me, Your Grace," A deep voice sounded from beside her. It was the older man with greying hair she had seen standing near Stannis when they burned her alive. 

"I'm not a Queen." Violet responded. 

"Not yet." The man told her. Violet crossed her arms across her chest before turning and facing him. 

"No. Never." She shook her head. "My twin is the Queen. I swore my allegiance to her just like all those who follow her." 

"But what about those who swear allegiance to you?" He asked. Violet frowned, another issue crossing her path. 

"Who are you?" She asked, changing the subject.

He smiled brightly, a cheerful grin full of crooked teeth. " Davos Seaworth, My Lady."

"I'm not a lady either." Violet said with a roll of her eyes. 

"Then what shall I call you?" He asked.

"Just call me Violet. What can I help you with Mr. Seaworth?" Davos' smile lessened only slightly before stepping closer to her.

"I wanted you to know that I had no part in what took place last night. Often times I wasn't informed of my Kings plans until well after they happened. Even being his advisor, he only let me advise but so much. Lady Melisendre had much more of an influence over Stannis than I ever did." 

Violet rolled her eyes, it was obvious why a woman like that would have influence over a man like Stannis. Especially given that his wife wasn't the most attractive woman in the seven kingdoms. 

"I'm not going to punish you or kill you if thats what you were wondering." 

"You look pensive." Davos observed seeing her concerned face turn towards a squadron of soldiers marching past them. "My knowledge tells me you and your sister have many soldiers, surely two thousand more won't hurt?"

"My sister has the armies. She gives the orders. I'm the fighter, I fight along side them. I have no idea where to even start, I wasn't even planning on leaving Castle Black so soon." 

"Why would you have to leave?" He asked. 

"I can't exactly keep two thousand soldiers here indefinitely. And from my understanding they won't do anything without my command." 

"Ah, thats where being a leader becomes complicated. Any decisions you make put not only yourself but all of your people at risk." 

"Don't remind me." Violet said with a rolled her eyes. 

"But see the great thing about an army is, theres a chain of command. You would only need to instruct the few commanders within the army who are all very capable men. And they would take charge of all of the men beneath them. The men are well trained, and seasoned in battle. I have faith they won't fail you. "