Chapter Fifty-Two

Violet could still hear the screams of her people, even after she landed. Rhael's claws dug into the scorched earth, and Violet sighed in frustration. She hated the feeling of failure, the feeling of abandoning her home and her people. And as much as she wanted to hate the crippled young man who clung tightly to her armor, she couldn't . They were family no matter what had become the pair of them in this life. 

As Violet looked up at the dreary castle that was High Garden, she realized that bringing Bran here would only further their problems. The Night King would still come, the white walkers would follow, and her people would be facing another battle without reinforcements or preparation. 

So she whistled lowly, and Rhael took to the skies once more, only moments after gaining the break he so much deserved. 

"What are you doing, your Grace?" Melisendre shouted against the billowing wind. "Wasn't Lady Olenna granting us sanctuary?" 

Violet ignored the red heads questioning, focusing her mind on flying East. 

"You're doing the right thing." Bran mumbled against her ear. She couldn't even question how he knew what she was planning. She could only hope to the Gods that she was making the right decision. 

~

The island of Dragonstone could be seen in the distance, and a happy cry echoed from Rhael as he saw his brothers flying overhead. Violet smiled sadly seeing Drogon and Viserion coming to greet them. It was a bittersweet moment, knowing she would have to rip her beloved dragon away from his family only moments after reuniting. 

"You're just going to leave us here?" Melisendre asked in question as she slid off Rhaels green form. "Your sister will surely imprison us."

Violet helped pull Bran down from Rhael, laying him gently in the cool grass. She hated leaving him there with no way of getting around, but she knew Tyrion would look out for his best interest. 

"My sister may have her flaws, but I don't see her imprisoning a cripple boy. You're among friends here, you just don't know it yet."

"He knows I'm here." Bran mumbled, his eyes shifting from a ghostly white back to their normal deep color. 

"Good." Violet mumbled, tossing a dagger at his feet. "I need to help our people, it's Dany's turn to fight the fuckers." 

"Don't worry boy, you'll get some rest soon." Violet whispered, kissing Rhael's  green and gold scales that littered his head. He huffed and nuzzled against her before expanding his wing to allow her to climb onto his back. 

"Valar morghulis." Melisendre shouted up at her as she prepared to take off. 

"They will." Violet mumbled to herself before feeling the breeze flow through her bloody silver locks as she flew back to her people. 

~

It took what felt like weeks before Violet and her people had safely arrived in HighGarden. Between killing errant white walkers that had followed, and transferring people on the back of Rhael, the pair of them was beyond exhausted. Violet wanted to desperately curl up into a ball and sleep for days, she needed it. Yet she knew it was not something she was lucky enough to receive. 

The tone at the gates of HighGarden was sullen, two lone guards seemed to open the gates with resignation as Violet walked through. She walked slowly beside Jon and Oberyn as they had been the last of the fighters she was flying from the fights at Winterfell. 

"Something is wrong," Mumbled Oberyn "I can feel it." 

"Let's find out." Jon agreed before the three of them quickly jogged towards the castles doors, Violet getting a glimpse of Rhael curling into a sleeping ball along the walls before they walked inside. Her silent guardian needed a rest as much as she did.