Chapter Fifty-One

The hearts of the defenders of Winterfell, beat as one.  One solid unit filled with dread and anxious longing. Archers held the strings of their bows in their quivering fingertips. Spears echoed against the wooden landing, and above them — Rhael cried loudly from the skies. He was ready more than any to fight, but sat obediently at his mothers command. 

The sight of the army of the dead could be seen from the tree line, corpses slowly stepping into vision. A horn blasted within the castle walls, and suddenly the fight seemed all too real. The battle was here, and Violet could only hope she was ready. Her families lives were at stake, and so many people she loved were fighting along side her in this fight, it was no wonder her stomach felt as if a thousand blades were digging inside of it. 

"Are you alright, your grace?" A small voice asked from beside her. She looked down and her eyes widened at the sight of a young child standing beside her, a large helmet on their head. 

"What are you doing here?" Violet gasped, she had sent all the children to HighGarden. 

"My men are fighting, and I would not sit idly by while they fought for me." The child spoke passionately, and gripped the sword in their hand with as much courage as anyone should. 

"What is your name child?" Violet asked, bending down slightly to look into their dark brown eyes. The helmet obscured most of their face, but the harshness of their features did not go unnoticed by Violet. 

The child released the helmet from their head, and long brown locks of hair were revealed in it's  place. Violet smiled seeing a young girl had wanted to join in their fight. 

"Lyanna Mormont, my Queen." She bowed, her hair tumbling against her shoulder. "I had been advised that joining in on the battle would be suicidal for my men and the future of my house. I told my advisors I would not abandon my Queen and my country to sit safely on an island. I apologize as I was only able to bring sixty-two men with me, but I assure you they have been trained well." 

Violet teared up at Lyanna's words. The small child had so much more sense and wisdom to her than many full grown men. "You are very brave, Lyanna Mormont." Violet reached forward and pulled the young girls sword from her hip. She examined the freshly polished blade before handing into Lyanna's open hands. 

"Do not lose this. And you fight with everything inside of you, and I will do the same for you." Violet bowed her head, ruffled Lyanna's wavy brown hair, and walked away to greet her men.

~

"Loose!" Davos shouted along the wall, hundreds of arrows flying through the air — many missing their targets. The army of the dead was ascending upon the walls and Violet watched nervously as they grew closer and closer. They were inching their way into her trap, much too slow for her liking.

"Anytime, your grace!" Davos shouted before telling the archers to fire at will. 

When the white walkers seem to stumble into the moat, piling on top of one another, Violet took her opportunity to whistle loudly — causing Rhael to descend from the clouds and light it on fire. 

The heat from the dragon fire rose quickly, and lit the darkened sky. The archers halted their shooting and watched as mass piles of white walkers  mounted into a jumble of dead limbs and  burning clothes. 

"It's not working," Violet mumbled defeatedly, watching as the white walkers began to use their own bodies as a bridge to reach the walls. It was like watching ants build a hill, they were so fast it was impossible for the archers to keep them at bay. 

"They're coming over!" Someone cried out, several archers fell backwards, tripping over one another and dropping their bows. Violet helped who she could before whipping the blade off her back and quickly cutting through any white walkers she came in contact with — their bones falling like cracked ice.