Chapter Forty-Nine

When Violet and Jon returned to Winterfell, they hadn't expected to greet the face of someone Violet and Sansa had not seen in quite some time. Olenna Tyrell and several soldiers serving as her personal guard were seated beside her when Violet walked through the doors of the dining hall. She was in a long black gown, and black bear furs covering her older frame. A black veil circled her head like a crown. She was clearly a woman in mourning.

"Lady Olenna." Violet greeted with a nod of her head. "You've traveled quite a way."

"Indeed." Olenna responded, she coughed lowly to clear her raspy voice, and took a sip of wine that was on the table in front of her. Her frail voice gave away how old she had truly become, however Violet knew she was anything but fragile. "I had one final trip in me."

"I am so very sorry for your losses, Lady Olenna." Violet spoke gently, stepping closer to the older woman.

"Cersei Lannister ripped a future away from me. She murdered my son, grandson, and my dear granddaughter Margaery." Olenna paused and took a deep swallow of her wine. "There was only one person on my mind, who could help me seek the revenge I so very clearly deserve."

Violet sighed as she had wanted the same revenge for quite some time, and yet it still felt so far away from possibility. "I'm afraid you've arrived on a rather inauspicious day, as I am not in a favorable position at the moment to help you."

"But you are." A voice called out from behind them. Violet and Jon whipped around to see Bran, perched in his chair with a shawl strewn across his lap. He had grown favorably since the pair had last seen him, his raven locks of hair almost covered his eyes which matched the color of the night sky. Stubble could be seen growing across his chin, and his boy-like wonder had been lost – a man sat in his place.

"Bran," Jon breathed out before rushing across the great hall to pull his brother into his arms. Bran stoically kept his eyes on Violet through the entire encounter with his brother, and it was something that unnerved Violet to no end.

"You look well." Violet smiled, ruffling the top of his hair.

"You're exactly where you're supposed to be." Bran mumbled, his large brown eyes peering into Violet's soul. 

"What are you talking about?" She asked in confusion.

"He does that sometimes." It was only then that Violet and Jon noticed Sam, he was the one who had wheeled Bran into the room. "It's like he speaks in riddles." 

"I've told you why, Sam." Said Bran, eyes never leaving Violet. "The night king is close. He will be here in two months." 

"How do you know this, Bran?" Jon asked, his hand subconsciously hovering over the hilt of his sword. 

"I am the three-eyed raven. I have seen everything that ever was or will be. I can see the night king marching beyond the wall." Brans eyes finally moved to look at his brother. "I saw your brothers betray you, and stab you in the heart." 

Jon's eyes widened and he looked up to Violet, the only person in the room who knew about what happened at Castle Black. "And I saw you sentence them all to death." Bran's eyes shifted back to Violet. 

"If what you're saying is true, then how am I able to help Lady Olenna? Dany is refusing to help me, and the men here are still recovering from retaking Winterfell. We aren't ready, not even a little bit." Violet was growing increasingly frustrated at the helpless feeling burying itself in her gut. She wanted to help Olenna, the Gods know she did, but she just couldn't. Cersei Lannister was not her main priority at that moment.  

"Because, you're exactly where you're supposed to be." 

~

"We've been staring at this bloody map for hours." Violet growled, knocking over several wooden pieces that simulated armies on a board. Arya, was laying on the table half asleep – her arm was dangling over the edge and gently playing with Ghost's fur. Jon was pacing around the room, occasionally having a conversation with Tormund who was eating in the corner of the room. Sansa had tried thinking of a strategy, yet nothing was coming to mind.