28

yeji point of view

TWENTY EIGHT 스물여덟 : LIKE A DREAM

A week ago, Ong Seongwoo turned his mother in. The number of years she would be in jail was still to be determined, but for my mother it was the opposite. The sentence lessened from being life long to her able to breathe fresh air in about 14 years. I was happy about it regardless.

What wasn't good was the internal pain Seongwoo had to go through. He eventually moved in with my father and I temporarily, at least until graduation. His home was completely empty since his father died when he was younger. Seongwoo's brother moved out and refused to let him come along. His aunt lived too far away, and Daniel was of course somewhere abroad.

"Yeji, at this rate, we really will become siblings." He joked the first day of his move-in. "Since we are I guess—related."

I smiled at him. "Let's be real here, I don't mind. You'd be a pretty cool sister."

"Same applies with you, brother." Seongwoo ruffled my hair, laughing.

The rest of the week we spent fooling around. Trying to distract him as much as possible, the whole gang and I tried to make Seongwoo feel the happiest he could ever feel around us. We travelled and went everywhere, even getting entrance to super exclusive events with the help of Woojin's connections.

Today was the new years party, held at the one and only PARK mansion. The guest list wasn't that grand, just a few people here and there that we knew. Some came from the boarding school that everyone was ever so close with.

The party wouldn't start until 7PM / 19:00, so I arrived there early just to help with preparation and some cooking. Before that though, Woojin's mother wanted to talk to the two of us in detail.

I sat down beside her as she held onto my hand, smiling at me dearly. Woojin sat on the other side of me, nervous. We both knew this conversation would lead to the dreams.

The dreams that stopped.

The nothingness that signaled our death.

"Those dreams I used to have.." She began. She looked as if she couldn't hold in her smile. We raised our eyebrows at her expression, half worried and half scared.

"They're back," His mother beamed. "They're back!"

It took us a moment to take that statement in. Silent at first, Woojin's eyes widened. I just about started to cry out of happiness. A great deal of anxiety lifted off our chests, knowing that our lives wouldn't end abruptly just yet. I hugged the two of them, feeling as if I was floating mid-air. I felt light.