Chapter 21

Heyyy, I'm thinking the way I write now is helping the quality a lot. It just takes me longer to update though...sorry 🙈

Here's a quick shoutout to a few of you wonderful people that have continuously interacted and supported this story:

steroes  wendymini  alexacastellanos99  Andee4  severussnapesalways  Divergent_violinist  Always_Severus_394

✌🏻

Listen: Beniamino Gigili-La canzone dell'amore

*please read the note at the end*

21| admitting

The school grounds were peaceful and cast in a gray shadow as rain fell gently from the clouds. There was no breeze, no thunder, nothing but the light drizzle of water. Severus was standing at the top of the astronomy tower that was freshly rebuilt. It didn't contain much damage from the battle, but the update was welcomed. He was leaning on the railing looking out across the black lake. The surface was only disrupted by the small drops of rain, but its murky depths was still. It had been a while since he'd seen any movement.

Taking deep breaths, he enjoyed the calm atmosphere around him. This was the first time he'd gone out of the main part of the school without Lucia or Minerva. He was beginning to finally feel like himself again after weeks of being stuck. The only reminder of his close call to death was the scar on his neck. Lucia did a wonderful job at managing it while it healed, leaving only a thin white line.

Sleeping was still a challenge for him. If he managed to lull his mind into unconsciousness, he was plagued by dreams. Memories that refused to leave him at peace. Most of the time flashes from his last encounter with the Dark Lord replayed in his mind.

Memories weren't the only thing disrupting his sleep however. Brief images of a woman would come across his mind when he fell into a light sleep. But they weren't the same as when they started, which deeply troubled Severus. Glimpses of auburn hair morphed into a rich brown, emerald eyes into sapphires, and friendliness replaced by genuine care.

He knew what these dreams meant, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to acknowledge it. They were part of the reason why he found himself having a difficult time around Lucia. Looking in her eyes was harder than before. Knowing Lucia noticed his change in behavior, he attempted to distance his mind from the thought of her as more than a colleague. Or the woman that saved his life.

Closing his eyes and letting out the breath he realized he was holding, Severus decided it was time to return inside. As he was passing through the hall near the Headmistress' office, he ran into Minerva. She seemed to be leaving.

"Oh Severus, there you are." She stopped in front of him and gave him a gentle smile. "You've been hiding again."

Severus raised an eyebrow, "I do not believe I have been. Intentionally at least."

Minerva chuckled. "Never intentionally Severus." She shook her head teasingly at him. "But yet you're always hard to find."

"I apologize Minerva. I will be sure to come out more often."

She rolled her eyes, "don't be catty with me."

Severus scoffed. "Now I clearly interrupted you. Where were you headed?"