Chapter 23

Guys, I'm so excited for my stories to crossover finally! Don't worry though, both will be following their separate story lines. So those of you who do read SSM as well will be in for a fun ride.

✌🏻

Listen: School by Nicholas Hooper

23| returning

He was there. Among the students as if he was normal, Tom Riddle sat without a care in the world. There was no denying his existence anymore now that he was in Hogwarts. The fact that he seemed to be integrated already was disturbing. He didn't belong, shouldn't belong after everything that happened.

Severus knew he had been staring too long at the boy, especially when he stared back. He could see the confusion on his face as he spoke to the girl next to him. The girl, who he realized was Miss Merin, glanced at him as well. She must have given Riddle an explanation since he was quick to ignore him. He couldn't help it. It was hard to believe that the same boy sitting amongst the students was once the Dark Lord. And yet, that didn't seem to faze anyone.

He felt a sharp jab in his side, which drew his attention from Riddle. He looked to Lucia next to him to see her disapproval. She seemed to have noticed where his attention was.

"Stop staring at him, I doubt he knows who you are." Lucia shook her head at him.

Severus shrugged, "it is just hard to accept his presence here." He scowled and resisted the urge to look at Riddle again. "It feels unnatural."

"Well he's here," Lucia said flippantly. "The sooner we accept it, the sooner we can all move on."

Severus grumbled to himself. He knew she was right, but he didn't want to admit it. Deciding to end the conversation there, he turned his attention to the doors where they soon heard multiple voices. Within seconds the doors opened to reveal the first years and they were lead in by someone Severus didn't expect.

Remus Lupin walked in front of the first years and was seemingly unaware of the ogling from the older students. Once the group reached the front, it was time for the sorting ceremony. Severus spaced out as the new students were being placed in their houses. He briefly took notice of Lucia clapping enthusiastically when a girl with silver blonde hair was placed into Gryffindor. She whispered to him after noticing his confusion that the girl was Miss Merin's younger sister. When he lost interest in the sorting, his focus turned to Potter's direction.

He was surprised to see both him and Weasley decided to finish their schooling. He was under the impression that they would take the opportunity to get out early. Yet there they were sitting at the Gryffindor table, no doubt due to Granger's influence. Severus was relieved, in a way, to see they all managed to make it out of the war undamaged.

Potter met his eyes briefly and they exchanged a respectful nod of acknowledgement. Regardless of Severus' personal feelings towards the boy, he did an extraordinary thing, Severus was free because of him.

Bringing his attention back to the sorting, he watched as the last student was placed into Hufflepuff. He clapped politely along as Minerva introduced any new staff members as well as the return of Professor Lupin. Severus became stiff when Lupin had sat on his other side, regrettably the last one open. Neither of them acknowledged the other until the food was served. Severus was picking at his plate as he listened to Lucia's conversation with Flitwick until Lupin cleared his throat.

"I have to say, it's great to see you alive Severus." Lupin glanced at Severus, secretly glad to have caught his attention.

Severus raised an eyebrow, "is it? I thought my demise would have been cause for celebration."