Chapter 42

"Commander Tano!"

Ahsoka turned away from her job fixing a ship to answer the call. 

"Yeah, Rexter?"

She hadn't been directly addressed by a clone in a couple of days, and it was no wonder. Ex-General Pong Krell had been the only one around to assume command of the 501st legion when Anakin had been called from his duties on the battlefield. Krell had killed so many of their men, and one of the survivors had killed him instead. Dogma was now gone, taken away from the 501st, probably for forever. 

The clones had suffered greatly.

Almost none of the men were found without another at their side, and they always shied away from command. Echo and Fives were inseparable, as if they had been joined at the hip, even cuddling up together at night like children. Coric never left Kix alone, allowing the newer clone to blabber on about medications and diseases and other medical-related things, even offering to help out in the med-bay. Commander Cody had taken pity on Rex, sticking to the other clone and allowing the captain to drag him most everywhere.

Speaking of Cody.

"Wait," the togruta padawan tilted her head in confusion. "Where's Cody?" 

Rex merely shrugged, but Ahsoka could feel the inner turmoil and general panicky emotions running through the clone.

"I wanted to ask about Krell."

The words felt normal enough, but she felt reluctant to answer.

"Okay?" 

The clone took his helmet off and looked around for a moment - looking for Cody, no doubt - before starting.

"You didn't know about him before, did you?"

It felt like she had been kicked in the stomach. She could feel tears welling up behind her eyes, stinging them but never showing.

"I tried to stop him from coming, Rex. I-" the little togruta took a shaky breath, focusing inwardly before realizing that the action most certainly would not help and pulling on her Master's presence. He sent back a wave of reassurance, slightly questioning, but he knew what she needed despite not knowing the circumstances.

"I thought he was off. He didn't feel right when I met up with him, and I tried to get another general, but he was the only one who could step in when Anakin had to leave. I never thought that...."

"That he'd kill your men?" Rex supplied, taking on a softer tone, seeming to come to terms with the fact that the girl hadn't meant harm.

Ahsoka nodded numbly, eyes glossing over before she continued.

"I thought it would be fine at first. I knew I was fooling myself when I could feel the pain from everyone," she hiccuped. "It was so terrible... I thought it was my fault."

She felt the ball in her throat grow, seeming to suffocate her. The hangar felt dead, even though there were a few clones walking around. A tear rolled down her cheek, a hand reaching up to brush it away.

"Then-"

"You don't have to continue, Little 'un," Rex interrupted, and Ahsoka let out a shuddering breath, arms reaching out like a child. The clone smiled slightly, complying and wrapping his arms around the little commander. 

The hangar seemed to suddenly come to life. Cody came up behind her, stiffly embracing the padawan, his arms reaching around to Rex's back. It seemed as if the whole 501st legion came to the hangar, and suddenly she was in the middle of an impromptu hugging mob. 

After she separated from Rex and Cody the rest of the clones came by to hug her. It seemed as though by doing so they were less afraid, leaving a piece of the injured part of them behind. Echo beamed when she reached out to hug him, and Fives simply kissed her hand, her giggles ringing clear from where she stood. 

It was nice to have a family.

---

So, here is a fluffy little chapter because we all need more clone fluff in our lives. 

They're precious...

Okay, so one thing I'm going to clear up in case anyone finds it. Most fan fictions write Coric as a medic, but he was a sergeant, so I figured there had to be some way he became a 'medic'. If there is a canon way, feel free to tell me, because I haven't found it yet.

Also Coric doesn't have a number???

Thank you for reading!

-FlamingStarbird