001

after about an hour of playing around with my powers i went downstairs.

i walked over to cassandra. "hey, can i go out?" i quickly asked.

"yeah sure whatever," she said not even looking up from the television.

"thanks, i guess," i trailed off. i ran to the door to put on my shoes. while doing so i thought of things i can do while out of the house. dustin henderson lives five minutes away from me but lucas sinclair is right next door. i finished tying my shoes before i could make a decision.

"don't go to their houses, wait till tomorrow," cass called out as i was stepping out the door.

"stop reading my mind!" i said while closing the door.

i decided to go to lucas's. he was right next door but there was a big gap between our houses. i was walking fairly slow. i took this time to think about my "sister". i remember the day papa told me she would be my guardian.

flashback

cassandra floresca. she was sitting across from me with a scowl on her face. she kinda scared me but i didn't let her see that.

cassandra never liked me and because of that i never liked her. i don't know why she didn't like me, she just was always mean to me.

cassandra was the the first experiment in the lab. as far as i know, she was able to read minds and talk to people through their mind (like talking with your mind, so not verbally) even though most can't talk back. i was scared of her for this exact reason. nothing was a secret, she could literally read your thoughts. no privacy. at all.

papa walked into the room and we both sat up and looked at him. he called us in here. i'm not sure why.

"one. ten." he acknowledged us. we stared at him in response.

he looked at me. "so you know you are getting dispatched to hawkins next week," he started, i hummed in response, "and you know that someone from the lab will be watching you." i nodded. i hope it is kimberly. she was my favorite caretaker. she never hurt me like the others did.

"the person will be one," he said with a hint of enthusiasm. "if anyone asks, you guys are sisters. your last name is oliveaux, so there is no chance of you being identified."

"what?" we both exclaimed. "are you serious?" i asked though i already knew the answer.

"yes, she'll be watching you while you are in hawkins." he said sharply.

i glanced at cass.

great, i've got a one month date with the devil.

flashback end

by the time i escaped my thoughts i was at lucas's front door. before knocking i looked around. i noticed a bike and a long wood board with four small wheels. i've never seen anything like it. i went up to the board with wheels and crotched down. i put my hand the board and closed my eyes. i let the information come in.

it was called a skateboard. skateboarding was born sometime in the late 1940s, or early 1950s, when surfers in California wanted something to do when the waves were flat. this board was in fact from californ-

"what are you doing?" a girl's voice cried. i was snapped out my thoughts. i turned my head around and quickly stood up.

"i-i was looking at your s-skateboard," i stuttered.

"weirdo," she mumbled and picked up her skateboard.

"do you need help?" another voice said. i looked over and saw it was the lucas sinclair.

"um no, i just moved next door," i pointed to my house, "and wanted to say hi to the neighbors"

he stuck out his hand, "i'm lucas," i grabbed his hand and shook it.

"(y/n)," i said back. i looked over to the redhead. i recognized her from a picture papa had shown me but i couldn't remember her name.

"this is maxine, but she likes being called max," he said for her, "she's nicer than she looks, or acts," he trailed off and chuckled. she playfully hit his shoulder and smiled.

maxine looked behind her, "let's get to will's house," she said looking over at lucas.

"yeah, okay." he nodded and took his bike from behind me, "see you around?" i hummed in response. "bye (y/n)!" he said while walking off, rolling his bike next to him.

i started to walk to my house but stopped when i heard max say, "i thought we already met all the weirdos in this town." lucas laughed. "and did you see her wrist? i think i saw a tattoo, if you know what i mean."

looked down at my bare arms and saw my number out in the open.

shit. i ran to the house and banged in the door. no one responded.

"cass, open up you asshole!" i yelled

she opened the door, "don't call me an asshole, asshole." she said. i rolled my eyes at her. 

"take me to the store." i asked her. she stared at me blankly. i knew what she was doing. "please, cassandra"

"fine," she walked pass me and brushed my shoulder. i turned to look at her in her car. "you gonna get in?"

"oh yeah," i hit my forehead and ran to the car. i sat inside and closed the red door.

after about 5 minutes cassandra said, "i you told so."

she caught me off guard, "huh?"

"i told you not to go, now we need to spend money to get you foundation," she paused to think, "just wear a damn sweatshirt!"

"still, it can ride up. and boom, i'm exposed. papa'll kill me before i can say sorry."

"no he won't," she responded.

"like you know." after that it got quiet.

max's pov

i rode my skateboard next to lucas. we tired our best to stay at the same speed.

"do you think she is from the lab?" i questioned.

he looked at me and shook his head. "she probably just wrote on her wrist," he stated.

"people write on their hand, not their wrist," i rolled my eyes but chuckled, "plus, it was obviously a number," i thought of what number it looked like. "it was like a zero and a ten. like elevens but a ten."

"doubt it," he shot back.

"you never know, she's probably an escapee."

"max, stop,"

"stop what?" i stopped my skateboard.

"you know we can't talk about stuff like that anymore," he looked at me. "hopper says we're not bugged anymore, but i don't know."

"yeah, i know," i whispered. we started riding again. "i'm gonna ask eleven about it," i concluded.

"she doesn't trust you yet," he laughed.

"it's not funny," i said but chuckled as well, "she's not mad me anymore though!" i said in triumph.

"okay, max." he gave me that adorable smile i love.

——————
i ended on something cute for y'all. plus you know a bit about your powers and cassandra's. sorry if your name is cassandra. also oliveaux is pronounced olive-oh.
your girl,
aaliyah 💓
[word count: 1163]