Chapter Twenty Eight

My Monday is spent sleeping mostly in Colt's arms, with the occasional bathroom break. Tuesday, though, is another story. We're back at school and currently at lunch, sitting under the big beautiful tree when my mum calls me.

"Uh, hello?" I answer in a confused tone.

"Alice-Mae, I need you to pick up some things from the grocery store, I fired one of the maids and, well, there aren't many of them that are trust worthy with money," my normally cool and collected mother rambled.

"Mum? Are you alright? Your...rambling," I murmured, getting up from the table and walking towards the school.

"Im fine, now remember to go to the store, Ill have my assistant email you the list."

"Uh, okay?" I frowned.

"Don't say 'uh' its unladylike," she scolded.

"I apologize, mum, Ill...talk to you later?" I chewed my bottom lip.

"Don't count on it," she stated cooly, "Goodbye, have a good day."

With these words she hung up, not even saying 'I love you' at all. Though she never has, and probably never will.

My phone buzzed with an email from the assistant, a grocery list of everything I was supposed to buy.

"Dear god, I going to be all over the place tonight," I muttered, before I headed back to the table.

"So who was that?" Chloe asked me as she took a bite of her mystery sandwich.

"My mum," I answered, surprise etched its way across her face.

"Really? She never calls first," Chloe insisted.

I nodded in agreement and took a spoonful of the tomato soup that Id packed i my cold lunch today. Colt squeezed one of my hands under the table.

"What'd she want?" Colt asked.

"For me to go to the grocery store," I muttered, "Why would she call me to do that? She never calls me for anything."

"Maybe she wanted to hear your voice?" Steven gazed at me, as if I were a tuff puzzle to figure out.

"Nah," I stood, "Ill see ya guys later."

With this I began to walk to my next class, my thoughts completely haywire about my mum's call.
~~~~
After school, it turns out I agreed to go to one of Steven's football games with Chloe, so I couldn't go to the grocery store until after the game was done.

Chloe chose a spot in the bleachers that was at the very top, just so that she had a clear view of the field. I sat beside her, trying to understand the concept of football, but utterly failing.

I glanced around in the bleachers, recognizing a few people from school, but none that I would ever think of talking to.

"Chloe," I whispered, trying to catch her attention, "Chloe."

"Yea?" she glanced at me before she focused on the field again.

"Who's winning?" I asked nervously.

She laughed, "We are, silly, otherwise everyone on this side wouldn't be smiling."

I smiled, "Oh, duh, how long do games normally last?"

"An hour," she stated, "Maybe longer, I dunno, I never really time a football game."

I nodded, trying to at least calculate the time, god I was such a nerd. If Colt ever heard what I thought sometimes, he would most definitely leave me. That or die laughing.