Chapter Thirty-Eight

Two Weeks Later...

"Alice, are you ready?" Chloe came into my room in her nice church clothes. Only she'd ever been to church a hand full of times, back when her mum was still around and wanted to be a good role model.

"No, I never will be," I lay on my bed, starring up at the ceiling.

"Come on, get up. It's time to end this pity party, because today is your day. Your day in court, you can do this," she came over and pulled me up, wrapping her arms around me in an embrace, "You okay?"

I looked at the picture on the wall, the one of Colt and I. Colt and my face smiled back at me and a pang of longing hit me, "I'll be alright."

The note he'd written me still sat unopened on my dresser. Chloe pulled me over to my closet, and helped me pick out a formal outfit. She helped me get dressed almost every day, because otherwise I saw no point in it. Today I wore a pencil skirt with a deep purple flowy blouse, which was tucked in to be more professional. She did my makeup to the minimum, and even straightened my waves of dark hair.

"Do you think he'll be there?" I asked her, my voice catching as I starred at my reflection. I looked tired and broken, even with the make up on, you could see it in my eyes.

"Ali," she sighed, "I know you're hurting, but the best thing to do now is to push him from your mind and just get through one day at a time." 

I nodded, and took a shuttering intake of a breath, "Okay."

"Come on, your mum wants you to come down and eat something," she looped her arm through mine and pulled me out of my room. Downstairs, in the kitchen, mum stood at the counter talking with Miranda, who was cooking breakfast. She was nodding and smiling, as was my mum. Mum had changed alot, which was surprising, she was seeing someone still. Dad hadn't been by in a while, but I knew he knew that mum was seeing someone else and my guess was that that was what broke them up.

"Morning," Chloe chirped, going and sitting on the bar stool that was placed by the center counter. I followed more slowly.

"Good morning, Chloe, Ali," Miranda greeted, mum glanced at me, before getting up and hugged me lightly.

"Morning," she murmured, "How are you feeling?"

"I've been better," I told her honestly, "When do I get to meet your boyfriend?"

"When I think the times right," she grinned, "You'll love him."

I nodded, there was no guarantee of me loving anyone, especially when that someone ruined my parents marriage. Gerald sounded nice and like he cared, but who knew how long that'd last. Even though I hadn't met him personally.

In a weird way, we were a family. Chloe, my mum, Miranda, and me. It was only us now, the guys were gone. Well except Chloe's new beau, Graham. He was the guy who let me go in the kidnapping, and who tried to protect me from Zack. They'd met at the hospital, Graham had come to check on me, just to make sure I was doing alright. I was happy Chloe had him, because now he was out of the gang, Zack had let him go because Graham was his younger brother.

In Zack's way, that was how he protected his brother. I was happy that he'd let Graham out, even though now Zack was being tried for attempted murder and murder. Attempted for me and murder for the rest of the people that he'd done away with. Strange thing was, he was pleading guilty, and I wasn't sure why he was going in without a fight.

"So, what colleges are you going to apply to?" Miranda asked Chloe and I. Spring was coming quickly and we were facing our last months as Juniors. We glanced at each other and smiled.