Chapter Twenty Nine

The sun beat down on my face, startling me awake. Birds chirped and flew merrily around in the morning light. I clutched the trunk of the tree, still on the same branch as last night.

Below me, my cell phone was gone and so were my kidnappers. I was alone, supposedly.

My stomach growled menacingly, letting me know just how hungry I was. Last time I ate, was last night before the game, and that was just a snack.

I forced the thought of food out of my mind and thought about how I was going to get out of here. I should wait till night, when Im less visible. But I should try and cover some ground, first. The wind blew harshly suddenly, as if warning me of trouble.

Looking down I froze, on the ground stood the teen with funky sun glasses staring straight at me. I tucked myself closer to the tree.

"My friend says he knows you," he stated blandly.

I didn't reply, praying that he wasn't talking to me.

"Your under their protection, they'll kick my ass if I hurt you, so go. I wont let Zach hurt you," the boy gestured towards the grassy woods, "Head that way for a couple miles and you'll arrive at the gas station."

I slowly began to descend the tree, being extra cautious since I was very stiff, when I reached the ground, I stared up at the teen.

"Thank you," I murmured, he dipped his head in a nod.

"Go, quick like a bunny, Zach will be here soon," he warned, before he passed over my cell phone, "Run."

I nodded, before I took off at a decent sprint, feeling every scratch and nick that was covering my skin, but I didn't slow, something told me that if I did I wouldn't be able to see Colt again, or Chloe.

While I ran, I briefly wondered who my protector was. I panted for breath as I ran, all traces of adrenaline gone and I was beginning to slow.

With one hand clutched around my phone, and the other clutched in a fist, I pushed myself to run faster.

While I was running, I held my phone out in front of me and checked the service bar, only to see that there was absolutely no service.

I let out a little cry, I wasn't sad though, I felt free again. I wanted to hug my mother for once, thats how happy I was to be free, I hadn't realized how free I actually was until I was held against my will.

Just like the teen had said, the gas station was a couple miles away and soon I had enough service to call 911 and speak with the operator, who, despite my protests, sent an ambulance. I don't remember getting in it or anything, all I really remember was Colt and Chloe being at the hospital.

After I was checked out, Colt raced over to me from where he'd paced in the waiting room and pulled me into his chest and hugged me tightly. Taking a deep, calming, breath.

"Are you alright?" he murmured against my neck as he nuzzled as close as he could to me.

"I think Im alright," I whispered, hugging him back and burying my face in his shoulder.

"The detective who's handling your case is also taking this one," he explained, not letting me go. He scooped me up and carried me, something I hadn't expected. With me cradled in his arms, Colt began to walk, "Your mum is back, she seems really worried about you for once."

"How do you know she's home?" I whispered, curling my fingers into th hair at the nape of his neck.

"I decided to stop by there this morning to tell Miranda, after you called me I was pretty shook up," he murmured, his eyes closed as he leaned his head down to kiss my forehead.