~The One Where He Flatlines~

⚠️
Zayn's POV

Five days. I've been here for five days. I still have 25 days left; give or take. I would have been allowed out earlier if it wasn't for my damaged eye socket, fractured nose, sprained wrist, broken fingers, four broken ribs, one sprained ankle, one fractured ankle, and not to mention the countless cuts and bruises littering my skin and the fact that I'm extremely underweight.

At least I have a nice roommate here. Very easy on the eyes. Very easy.

"I hate not being able to breathe through my nose." I've been complaining about the cast on my nose ever since it was put on. Everyday I ask the doctor when he can take it off, and everyday he chuckles and says 'soon'.

"Haha you're a mouth breather," Louis laughs at me. We've gotten pretty close over that past few days; I think we could actually be friends outside of here. Louis and I are currently in the middle of 20 questions. "It's your turn."

"Okay, um... What's your favorite childhood memory?"

"Oh we're getting deep now." He rubs his hands together as he thinks. "I think overall it has to be my 14th birthday. We just had this massive blizzard the day before and my sisters and I went outside and played in the snow for hours upon hours. Eventually my mum called us in. We all got out of our snow gear and changed into warmer, comfortable clothing and watched Christmas movies while drinking hot chocolate. What really made it memorable though was the marshmallow fight we had that turned into warfare. My mum helped us move around the furniture and we split into teams; teams that ended up becoming my sisters verses me."

"That sounds amazing," I say genuinely. Louis was so passionate about his family, it is almost impossible to not fond over him.

"It really was." His smile is so wide; I'm surprised his face hasn't broken in two. "Okay it my turn. What's your biggest fear?"

"Being alone," I say bluntly. "But not like I'm scared of being in a room by myself. It's more like being in a room with thousands of people and knowing that not one of them cares about me."

"Yeah, I get it."

"Hmm." I start humming as I think of what to ask next. "I have no idea what to ask now," I chuckle lightly.

"Then can I ask you another question?" I nod. "What is it really like when you find your soulmate? Like, I remember you saying that it's overwhelming, but what was your personal experience?" Somehow I knew this question was going to pop up.

"Okay, so I'm sure that if you pick up any book about soulmates it will probably tell you that meeting your soulmate is the best experience you will ever have in your entire life. It'll say that your knees will feel weak, your heart will flutter, and your brain will turn to mush from all the excitement.

"And then the headache comes in. Because the part of the brain that controls the eyes finally starts working in a different spot, it causes and pretty bad headache that lasts for a couple hours. They always say 'you want to meet your soulmate somewhere that's close to pain relievers' because you will need them.

"But the colors. They are so beautiful. I wish I had the words to describe them. So many different shades. I actually started painting while I was with my soulmate, you know, before he started acting the way he did. I'm kinda upset I won't be able to see the colors anymore, but at least I got to experience it. I'm not sure if I would call finding my soulmate the best experience of my life though," I glance down at one of my arms, "Just look at how it ended." I don't realize I'm crying until a tear drops onto my arm.

"How it ended was you had the ability to realize you were in a toxic relationship, you had the strength to report it, and now you're working through it. You are a strong individual and you should be proud of yourself. I know I'm proud of you." He smiles at me at the end of it.

"Thank you, Louis." I smile back at him. The smile is almost immediately wiped off my face once I realize that I have to testify against him in court once I'm out of the hospital. I hear my heartbeat quicken and then suddenly stop as everything goes black.

Louis' POV

I hear it before I actually notice it; the high pitched sound of a flatline fills the room. Before I can even react, doctors and nurses come flying into the room. One of them comes over to me.

"What happened to him," he asks.

"I don't know. We were just talking and he flatlined. Is he going to be okay?"

"We are all going to try our hardest." The nurse barely answers my question before he turns and walks away to one of the doctors. I watch as he says something to the doctor. But my attention there is short lived as I start hearing numbers behind shouted by a nurse followed by a doctor shouting 'Clear' and a zapping sound.

"No response. Charging to 300."

"Clear!"

Zap

And it continues until Zayn's heartbeat returns. It's takes a charge of almost 600 to get him back. I'm sitting on this hospital bet crying my eyes out as the doctors and nurses push Zayn's bed out of the room to who knows where to do who knows what.

"They're bringing him to get some tests done to figure out why he flatlined. They will then conduct surgery on him if needed." The nurse from before states.

"But will he be okay?"

"I can't guarantee anything, sir." And with that he leaves, leaving me to cry harder than before.