~The One Where He Learns About Love~

Louis' POV

"Good morning, Lou," Niall greets.

"Morning. Thanks for letting me stay over... again." I take a seat on a bar stool in his kitchen. I called Niall soon after Zayn dropped me off at my flat after our day together. The horrible feeling I had when I was there earlier became worse; I couldn't even enjoy a footie game on the TV.

I can't help but have this feeling like I'm going to do what I did again. I don't want to do it again- I mean I have no reason to- well not like I had an actual reason before. I don't even know what I'm thinking. I need a therapist.

"Louis you do not have to thank me. You can stay as long as you need to." Niall places a plate of food in front of me.

"Thank you," he gives me a look, "for the food!" He gives me a nod in approval and walks back to prepare another plate.

"Good morning!" Harry sings as he enters the kitchen. He then proceeds to grab a banana, kiss Niall on the cheek, and walk out of the kitchen. "Call you on my break! Love you!" He shouts before the sound of the front door closing is heard. I'm about to ask Niall a question, but he stops me.

"Give him a second." And as if on cue, the door bell rings. Niall grabs a set of keys off the counter and walks to the front door. He returns a moment later with a fond look on his face. "You may speak now."

"Is he always in a rush like that?" I ask as I shove a forkful of eggs into my mouth.

"Not always. He has an early meeting today and he didn't want to be late like last time." Niall sits at the bar across from me and begins eating.

"Why was he late last time?" In response to this, Niall just looks at me and winks. I almost choke on the food I'm chewing. "You could have just said he overslept!"

"Now, what kind of friend would I be if I lied to you about my sex life?"

"A good one."

"Okay well enough about me, I guess," he says with a roll of his eyes. "How did you spend your first full day of freedom yesterday?" Oh that's right. Niall doesn't know about the whole 'Zayn thing'. Guess I better fill him in.

"Well, first I woke up here and was very confused because I wasn't in the hospital. Then I, uh, went out. That's pretty much it." Great job, Louis. Way to explain everything.

Niall gives me a look. Not just your average 'you're-not-telling-me-everything' look- no. This is a look like he knows what I did yesterday and he's just waiting for me to confirm all of it.

So I do. Kinda.

"Okay you got me. My Uber wasn't really an Uber." I pause and look at Niall. He motions for me to continue. "It's was Zayn."

"Oh wow. The hot boy from the hospital. What did you guys do?" Oh boy here we go.

I take a deep breath before saying, "WellwewenttoanicerestaurantforbrunchthenwewentbacktomyplaceandwekissedandIsawthecolorsthenwewenttohisoldhouseandhesawcolorsandwekissedmoreandthenIcamehere."

Niall looks at me with is jaw dropped.

"I'm sorry, what?" He asks. I look down at my lap and prepare to repeat myself, only this time slower with more detail.

"Zayn had called me that morning asking if I wanted to go to brunch with him. I agreed and he picked me up from here. After we ate he brought me up to my apartment and we... well we kissed. And I saw the colors." Niall is about to say something but I stop him and he lets me continue.

"He asked me if I wanted to help him pack up the rest of his things from his old house and I said yes. I invited him into my apartment so I could grab a bottle of pain relievers because, you know, the headache. And then the door thing happened. We kissed more. We went to his old house where we found out the he can see colors on canvases, but only when we're not touching, so that was pretty cool. Then we went to dinner and took a walk around a park and he dropped me off at my apartment where we kissed again for a long time. And yeah."

"Wow." Niall's face holds a mix of shock, amazement, and happiness. "So you and Zayn are soulmates?"

"Yes and no." All emotion is swept off Niall's face as he tilts his head and all that is left is confusion. "Zayn is my soulmate, but I'm not his." The confusion is still there. "When we touch, only I see the colors."

"Oh. Oh." I nod my head slowly as Niall processes all of this new information. "Did you just find this out yesterday or-" I cut him off.

"No we knew it before. You remember that really bad thunderstorm we had while I was in the hospital?" Niall nods. "I guess Zayn figured out I was scared to he got into the hospital bed with me and helped me sleep. When we woke up in the morning, that's when we figured it out."

"Aw that's cute. I wish Harry and I had a nice story like that." Oh no. I know where this is going. "We were just doing what any teenage boys that ran into each other in the school bathroom and kinda knew each other would do. We were in the stall, Harry giving me a blowie. Harry and I locked eyes with one another and there were colors everywhere. Hands down best orgasm of my life."

"How did you know you were in love with him?" Niall ponders this question for a couple moments before responding.

"I don't really know. It kinda just popped up out of nowhere. Like I was just looking at him one day and it all came crashing down like a pile of bricks."

"Did he do anything that made you go like 'Yup, this is the one I love'?" I know in pestering Niall with these questions, but he's the closest person to me that can actually answer me. Well there is no one stopping me from going to the hospital and talking to Dr. Naylor, but I'm too lazy.

"Not particularly. Why?"

"I, um, I t-think I'm in love with Zayn," I say slowly and softly.

"Aw, Lou." Niall reaches for my hand and grabs it. "That's amazing. But are sure you're in love? Do you think you might just love him?"

"I don't understand. Isn't loving someone the same as being in love with them?"

"Oh no, two completely different things. You see, to love someone is to care about them as a person. You like an acquaintance, but you love a friend. To be in love with somebody is to feel a connection with them that you feel with no one else, you can be yourself around them and they can be the same with you. You love a friend, but you're in love with a soulmate."

"I've never looked at it that way before."