3: La Inglesia

Braeden led the way while Isabel followed behind the Jeep.

"You know Isabel is pissed that Kate was the one that took Derek," Malia said, glancing out the back window.

"I've lost count of how many times Kate has tried to kill Derek," Scott said. "Derek knew who was responsible for the Hale fire all these years and he carried that around with him because he blamed himself for it." Scott glanced behind him. "When we thought Peter ripped her throat out, he was an Alpha. His scratch turned Kate. The Calaveras heard that she'd been killed by an Alpha and came to Beacon Hills to make sure she was dead."

"We were at her funeral, Scott. We saw her buried."

"No, we saw her casket. We never saw her body. The Calaveras switched out the bodies the night before the funeral once they saw she was turning. They are like the Code Police. A Hunter that is bitten has to commit suicide before they turn. Like Allison's mom did when Derek bit her saving me. Kate refused to."

"Good for her," Malia said. "I wouldn't have done it either."

"Would you have killed six people to escape? That's why the Calaveras were hunting her. They came across Derek and Peter shortly after they took Cora back to South America and were convinced that they knew where Kate was."

"They didn't know she was alive at the time," Kira said.

"No, then she showed up in Beacon Hills, attacked the twins, and then attacked Derek in his loft. But why she returned to Beacon Hills and attacked Isabel, Derek, and the Hunters at the building and took Derek, even Araya doesn't know." They heard something hit the Jeep and it lurched.

Stiles almost lost control of his car before coming to a stop. "What the hell was that?"

The teens jumped out of the Jeep as Isabel hopped off her bike. "You guys okay?"

"Yeah."

Braeden rejoined them. "What happened?"

"I don't know," Stiles said as he and Malia looked over the Jeep. "It felt like we hit something."

"We have to get to La Inglasia before nightfall. It's too dangerous otherwise."

"Go," Stiles said to Scott.

"Not without you."

"Someone has to get to Derek. You and Isabel go with Braeden. We'll figure something out. We always do. Now get out of here."

Scott hugged Stiles before turning and heading towards Braeden.

"Scott!" Kira ran up to Scott and he turned. Isabel replaced her helmet.

"What?"

"I really can't think of anything to say except be careful."

"Be careful works."

"Scott!" Braeden called.

Kira hugged Scott. "Then be careful."

Scott chuckled.

"Watch his back, Isabel," Malia said. "And find my cousin."

"I will, Malia." She revved her bike and followed Braeden.

~~~

The three stopped on a ridge overlooking the ruins of an abandoned town. "An earthquake leveled the town years ago," Braeden explained. "The locals thought it was cursed and never returned."