26: A Terrifying Plan

"You have to stay here, ma'am!" the nurse said as the gurney was wheeled into the ER.

Isabel stopped at the door. "Just do what you can for him! Save him!"

"We'll do what we can."

Isabel gave a ragged breath as Dr. Geyer was paged. She put her hands together and to her lips, fear gripping her heart.

"Please survive this," she whispered. The minutes seemed like hours as she waited for word. Eventually, she started to pace.

Isaac ran into the ER. "Isabel!" She turned towards him. "What happened?"

"I... I don't know. I found him unresponsive."

Isaac hugged her. "He'll be alright. He's been through worst."

"I hope so." After what seemed like an hour, she heard Melissa being paged to the ER. The nurse came back out and shook her head.

"Oh, God! No!"

"You can come back now." Isabel's legs felt like jelly as the nurse led her down the hall, Isaac next to her.

Melissa was talking to Dr. Geyer. She suddenly put her hands to her mouth and shook her head. "No!" she screamed. "No!"

Isabel and Isaac ran down the hall towards her.

"What happened to him?" Isabel caught her as she collapsed, screaming. "What happened to my son?"

Isabel held her as she wailed, Isaac blocking her view as they wheeled Scott out of the room.

"This has to be my worst nightmare come true," Melissa said as she and Isabel walked into the morgue and over to Scott's body.

"Let's hope you don't actually have to go through this," Isabel responded as they joined the rest of the pack.

"This is pretty significantly terrifying. He looks dead."

Noshiko held her hand out. "Give me your hand," she said. Melissa hesitantly did so and Noshiko placed it over Scott's heart. "Wait for it."

Melissa felt a single heartbeat and she gave a sigh of relief. "Is that enough to keep a werewolf alive?"

"Enough for an Alpha."

"How much time do we have?"

"Forty-five minutes."

"What happens after that?"

"I bring him back the same way," Kira answered.

"I meant what happens if he stays like this longer than forty-five minutes."

"Your nightmare comes true," Isabel said slowly.

"Did I mention how much I hate this plan?"

Danny rigged the laptops together and waited for Chris to apply the override receiver. Stiles phone rang and the images from all the security cameras came up.

"It worked," Stiles said over the phone.

The plan was for Stiles, Danny, Liam, Kira, and Lindsey to monitor the cameras for any sign of someone suspicious. Malia and Peter were outside watching the back entrance while Melissa and Noshiko watched the front. Devin, Isabel, Isaac, and Sean patrolled the hospital itself while Chris kept an eye on the door into the morgue. Chris was also keeping up with the time they had. Derek was working on baiting the Benefactor.

"What if nobody shows?" Lindsey asked. "We'll have scared the crap out of Melissa for no reason."

"Somebody has to show," Stiles said. "Scott is number one on the list. He'll want to see for himself."