8: Heist

Derek led Kate to the high school.

"The high school? Really?" Kate asked.

"Yeah." Derek opened the door of her car and stepped out.

It was dark which gave them a greater chance of not being seen. Hundreds of scents from the students assaulted his nose, but none were fresher than several hours. Derek looked around, wondering where the night security guard was. The school usually employed two along with a night janitor. Derek had always been able to avoid all three because he knew their scents, but he couldn't catch their scents.

"Let's go find this vault, handsome."

They walked across campus passing through the tunnel between the lacrosse field and the school. Derek suddenly stopped, a feeling like he was doing something wrong washing over him. Kate realized he'd stopped and turned back towards him.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"I don't know about this," Derek answered. "I'm not supposed to show the vault to anyone outside the family."

Kate took his hand. "Come on, we talked about this."

"Yeah, but how do you even know?"

"Because you told me. Don't you remember?"

Derek shook his head.

Kate looked into his eyes. "Tell me if you remember this?"

She then kissed Derek, but it didn't feel like it did before. There was something different. Something off. And it wasn't just because Kate was one of them now.

Kate pulled Derek close to her. "We get inside the vault," she whispered into his ear. "We get the triskelion. And then everything goes back to normal."

"That's all you want?"

Kate nodded. "That's all we need. But right now, we have to get inside the vault."

Derek sighed, then nodded. Kate was probably the only person he could trust. Besides Scott. He felt he could completely trust the Alpha, even though he barely knew him. But why was he having doubts about Kate? When did he tell Kate about the vault? He led her to the school sign.

"It's over here," he said.

"Why would your family build a vault under a high school?"

"The vault was here first." Derek flicked out his claws and inserted them into a strange symbol on the side.

The symbol popped out slightly and Derek turned it right, left, and then right again. The sound of stone grinding against stone was heard as the sign turned, revealing a set of stairs leading beneath it. Kate looked at Derek before they descended the stairs into the vault, the young werewolf not seeing the sly smile on Kate's lips.

~~~

Peter, Malia, Scott, and the two Valkyries arrived at the school and were following Peter to the vault. They were running up the stairs when Malia suddenly stopped, a strange look on her face.

Scott turned once he realized she had stopped. "Did you catch a scent?" he asked.

"It's the same one?" Malia turned, sniffing the air. "The same one as Mexico."

"What is she talking about?" Peter asked.

"Oh no," Isabel whispered. Devin looked at Isabel as Scott sniffed the air.

"It's the scent I picked up in the Church ruins. One of them came after me, Isabel, and Braeden."

"And one on the road," Malia added.