34: Safe Haven

"Keep running!" Daniel cried.

The pouring rain had caused his clothes to stick to his body, his hair likewise sticking to his head. Ahead of him, running as fast as their werewolf speed let them, were Brett and his younger sister, Lori. A group of Hunters had found the pack and decided to cash in on the dead pool. Everyone had scattered, Satomi telling them all to meet at the Beacon Hills Animal Clinic if they could. The three of them had somehow ended up at the high school, running between the buses. The young teenage girl was terrified. The two were ahead of Daniel, being much faster. Daniel gave a cry and stumbled, feeling an arrow bite into the back of his thigh. Brett stopped, turning as Daniel pulled it from his leg.

"Don't stop!" Daniel cried, motioning him to keep going. "Run!" He felt the wound immediately healing. He sprinted towards Brett, who had turned and did as he was told.

Lori fell and Brett helped her up. More arrows sailed past them, one striking Brett. He gave a cry and staggered. "Go, Lori!" he cried. "Run!"

A Hunter came out from between the busses, forcing Brett to defend himself. Daniel caught up and slammed into the Hunter. He hit the bus hard before falling to the ground unconscious.

"Where's Lori?"

Brett ran in the direction his sister had gone. Daniel didn't know where the Hunters were but he had a bad feeling they were being herded. They finally reached the end of the busses and they saw Lori running towards the lacrosse field.

"Wait!" Brett called. "Wait!" She ran onto the field. "Lori, stop!"

She stopped, allowing Brett and Daniel to catch up to her. One by one the lights on the field came on and Daniel realized they'd run right where the Hunters wanted them. Lori clung to her brother as Daniel pushed Brett behind him. From the home side stands, several lasers pointed at them. Daniel looked down, every single one of them aimed at his chest.

"What's happening?" Lori cried, the terror in her voice.

Both Daniel and Brett knew they couldn't run anymore. They'd been corralled and they knew there was no escape.

"Close your eyes, Lori," Daniel said.

Lori buried her face into Brett's arm as the first arrow came sailing towards him. Only to be blocked by a katana.

"Run!" the kitsune girl cried.

"Go!" Daniel cried.

Brett and Lori didn't have to be told twice. The kitsune blocked the hail of arrows that came at her. A woman, another supernatural, ran onto the field throwing her arm out. The arrows hit an invisible wall.

"Kira! Come on!" she cried.

Kira retreated, the woman doing the same. They ran towards a silver Aspen.

"Get in!"

Daniel knew the driver for a Valkyrie, but there was something different about him. He'd never sensed a Valkyrie like him before. Everyone piled in.

"Go, Devin!"

Devin fishtailed as he pressed the gas to the floor, speeding away from the school.

"How did you know we were there?" Daniel asked, chilled now that he was out of the rain.

"Devin sensed the three of you," the woman said, running her fingers through her wet hair. "We had a feeling you were in danger."

Kira jerked a thumb at the woman. "She had a feeling you were in danger," she said.

"No matter who felt it, you have our thanks," Daniel said.

Devin looked over his shoulder. "Yeah, Scott would have killed us if we left you. And so would Isabel. Actually, she would have just killed me."