Chapter 17

ASHLEY'S POV

For a moment I blacked out.

As I started to come through all I could feel was the weight of something heavy on top of me. I twisted my body to try and wiggle out of the debris and let out a yelp. Pain splintered through my body. The edges of my eyes started to go black threatening unconsciousness.

No. I wasn't go to pass out again. I moved again. The pain was excruciating, but I bit the inside of my cheek to distract myself from it. The slab of concrete shifted a bit but not enough. I took a big breath, ready to use all the strength I had left, and pushed hard. The concrete toppled over and released me. I pushed myself to my feet with my remaining strength and stretched my body.

I looked around but all I saw was nothing. I had become disoriented in the damage. I contemplated which way to go. I had to find Danny and Sam.

"Well, well, well. Look who we have here." Someone snickered behind me.

I whipped around and came face to face with a tall man in a suit. I recognized him instantly even though I had only seen him once. Hawthorne.

"What do you want?" I spat.

"Oh, so the girl can speak." He said with mock surprise.

I glared.

"It looks as if the ghost boy left you behind. What a shame." Hawthorne laughed.

"He'll be back to get me." I said but not quite wholeheartedly. I had my doubts. I was left for who knows how long under the debris and the noise of battle had disappeared. I assumed it was over. He wasn't coming back for me. He got out. Why would he risk coming back for me?

"Why would he come back for a dead girl?" An evil smile spread across his aging face. Then he reached into jacket and presented a small gun. He loaded the gun, slowly, building anticipation.

"Any last words?" Hawthorne asked.

I shook my head. This was it. I was done.

I closed my eyes as he raised the gun to aim. I didn't want to see him pull the trigger.

"You're one twisted dude." Another voice, more recognizable, said.

I opened my eyes. "Danny!" I shouted.

"Are you okay?" Danny asked.

I nodded.

"It looks like there's a two-for-one special going on." Hawthorne laughed manically.

I rolled my eyes. He was seriously crazy.

"If you're done threatening us, you might want to take a look behind you." Danny pointed with sly smile on his face.

Standing behind Hawthorne was Sam, Tucker, and bunch of ghosts, all armed.

The color left Hawthorne's face. "Oh dear." He gulped.

He turned back around to face Danny and I. He looked like he was calculating his odds of escaping. It was clear on his face that he realized he had no chance. His face looked suddenly older and he dropped the gun.

Sam and Tucker walked over to join Danny and I.

"You should try going ghost again." Sam suggested.

I closed my eyes and concentrated. I imagined two white rings gliding in opposite directions down my body. I imagined white hair and glowing green eyes.

Then I opened my eyes. My three friends were smiling and I knew it worked. I had gone ghost! A huge smile snuck its way to my lips. I turned to Hawthorne. Fear was evident in his eyes.

Danny came stood beside me. "Shall we?" He asked. And we raised our hands. We aimed our glowing palms at Hawthorne and together we fired the first shot.

His body flew across the room slamming into a wall.

"He's all yours." Danny gestured to the other ghosts that had been patiently waiting. The ghosts wasted no time firing ecto-blasts.

"Well, are you ready to go?" Danny asked me. I nodded.

We grabbed Sam and Tucker and flew out of the building. I didn't look back.

I took in the fresh air and the sunlight. I let a little smile creep across my face.

I was free.

**********

Well this is it. This was the last chapter. Thank you guys for all the support you gave me while writing this. Your kind comments are what pushed me to finish this. I love you guys so much and I appreciate everything!

Vote, Comment Share, Follow!

Thank you so so so so so much!!!

-Aly

Also check out my other book Aria Phantom! Thanks! <3