3: You Get Married

Chapter 3 : You Get Married
________________________________

Sometimes you're looking at something and then that something disappears and instead you're left with your thoughts and dreams.

That's exactly what happened to me as I sat in my back yard's swing, staring at the lake infront of me.

The sun was sinking into the water and I just sat there admiring the serenity and sheer beauty of the moment.

There was something about sunsets that I could never pinpoint. They were breathtakingly beautiful, true, but they also filled the air with this sad vibe.

But what were we here for, if not to admire God's creation and lose ourselves in it?

It was weird. Throughout my whole life , I'd never felt content sitting through a sunset.

It always gave me this tight feeling in my chest.

Another day slips away, another chance I'll never get... I'd find myself thinking.

It always made me feel like I was watching the rolling credits of a movie and THE END popped up suddenly.

Remember what I Said about looking at things and then drifting away with your thoughts and dreams?

Well that's exactly what just happened right now.

************

Now you must be wondering:

What happened to him making Sarah convert?

Did he find that Muslim friend he was talking about...?

Don't worry. You'll be getting your answers very soon. Just be patient. Patience is, after all, a virtue.

Eventually, I found myself dialling a number that I never thought I'd be calling again.

"Hello?" A voice said from the other end.

"Umm... Hello Sam." I answered rather timidly.

"Oh. Adam." The voice chuckled bitterly.

"Yes. How've you been?"

"I don't know... How have I been Adam? Why are you even calling now?" He wasn't even bothering to hide the hurt that laced his voice.

Sam, short for Sammy, or Samuel, was my maternal cousin. We'd always been close, good friends. But A year back or so, he'd suddenly started thinking a bit too much.

Finally one day he'd opened up to me and told me that he wasn't satisfied with his current religion; Christianity.

He had expressed that there was a void inside his that he yearned to fill, and that he wasn't getting the answers his soul sought to fill the void.

I'd stared at him like he just grew four eyes.

"What are you talking about Sam? This is the one true religion. It's what our parents follow, what we follow, what our kids will follow one day. You know you can only get saved through Him alone." Was what I'd told him.

He'd stared at me in disbelief and disappointment, mouth gaping and eyes wide.

"So you're satisfied? How do you know it's the truth if you barely know anything about any other religion?" He'd answered.

I'd just told him that it was his choice and I was definitely not going to stop him. I'd also told him that I'm fine with the way I was.

And so , his journey with religion began. First , he'd started exploring other branches of Christianity. Then he tried Judaism , but apparently he still didn't find what he was looking for. He even found himself exploring Buddhism and Hinduism. But, as he said, nothing scratched the itch.