4: Faith, Fate, and Fear.

Chapter 4 : Faith , Fate , and Fear.
_________________

Faith. Fate and fear.

Three different words. They all start with the same letter but are vastly different in meaning.

Extremely different in meaning.

As I headed for work that day, I was almost trembling from anxiety.

Some man I was.

No. I wasn't going to bend down on one knee and propose to her.

After all, I was not ready for this. I didn't want to just go ahead and marry someone I didn't get to know first.

I mean yeah, Sam said that the two parties did get to know each other. They got to hang out with other parties who were direct family to the girl, (e.g. uncles, brothers, fathers etc.) . Then , if they liked each other enough, they were to do the nikkah. It was like a contract that said that the two parties were engaged. Basically, married but didn't have the wedding yet.

They would then be able to hold hands, kiss, go out on dates alone, and do most things that couples would do.

And it would be halal; permitted by their religion.

But seriously? Why was their religion stopping them from dating people like normal and just having fun?

"Islam forbids such relationships to ensure that men are not to use girls as toys, or the other way round, playing with them, then throwing them away when they had no more use for them..." Sam had said, but it still seemed weird to me.

Perhaps it always will.

_________________________

"Hey, can you please lend me some ink? My printers totally dry..." Sarah said , totally calm and appearing completely unshaken by our latest encounter.

"Sure." I said, handing her a tiny box and trying to maintain the same calm façade that she was wearing.

I then sunk back into work, work, and more work.

When my head was spinning and my eyes were drooping from what I liked to call 'work overdose', I figured that it would definitely do me good if I headed for the buildings café.

It was a good place. It had picnic tables out in the open and was so full of relaxing trees, flowers, and scenery.

It was then that I got my next splendid Idea.

Texting.

**********

I pondered over my newfound idea for awhile, trying to figure out how I'll make it work.

I just needed to do some... Stalking?

Yup. Some social media stalking.

Or... I could tell my overdramatic brain to shut up and get her number from the public employee site.

That would be much better.

********

Never hesitate. If you want to do something, then just do it.

I kept on thinking that again and again until I finally summoned the courage and sent a text to the great Sarah Saleh.

Hey. I texted.