10: Curiosity killed the cat

Chapter 10: Curiosity killed the cat

"What's the biggest difference between Christianity and Islam?" I blurted.

I know I asked her this before.  I know I asked her this before over text.  But hear me out, the best way to figure out how consistent someone is, right?

Sarah still appeared to be suffering  the loss of her uncle's family, so I was doing her a favor by taking her mind off things.

"What??!" She exclaimed.

Well. Apparently that was a bit too sudden.

By too sudden I meant me appearing in front of her and asking what the biggest difference between Christianity and Islam was.  How random is that? Just pop in front of someone and ask that?

Yeah. A bit sudden, but sudden was good.  Sudden shows consistency. She won't get time to shuffle her cards and proofread her answers. 

"The difference between Christianity and Islam , " I repeated, "What is it?"

"There are many differences, but one of the major differences is the Christians belief of the crucifixion, or the trinitarian belief." She started , "you believe that Jesus PBUH got crucified...for our sins .. right?"

"Yes." I answered.

"You see, according to Islam, that didn't actually happen, " she paused, "I want you to think about it for a bit...why would God kill one of His own prophets? Isn't that a bit overboard? If you're sinning then it's between you and Him, if you wrong me you apologize to me.  I won't go sacrifice an innocent human for your sins. "

"Um..I never gave it much thought...for our sins??" I answered, though it came out more like a question than anything else.

"You believe in the existence of God. Then you should know that He is the Most Powerful, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful... If you want your sins gone, all you have to do is ask for His forgiveness sincerely and work towards change. Plus, what would be the point of religion if Jesus really died for your sins... It would be pointless. You'd be able to do everything and anything and you would still be as sinless as the day you were born."

"Alright then." I said exasperatedly, "What do you guys believe happened?"

Sarah smiled slightly, as if she'd been waiting for me to ask that question since the start of this conversation.

"God made another man look like Jesus PBUH. It was this man who was crucified instead. So the people believed they killed Jesus PBUH when God actually saved him by raising him to heaven. Like the Christians , we believe he will be Resurrected and return to Earth." she paused, "God says in The Quran  {And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus the son of Mary, the messenger of Allāh." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.} in chapter 4 verse 157..."

"I see" I said, my voice came out low and shaky.

"I definitely urge you to read chapter 19, the Chapter of Mary." She encouraged. "

I let out a low sharp whistle.  They even had a chapter in their book dedicated for Mary, Mother of Jesus.  Interesting.

That verse that she shared with me definitely made more sense than the Jesus died for our sins story.

"Well. Thanks." I muttered lamely, before shuffling back to my desk.

If there was a winner in this conversation, it was her no doubt.