Veritas Liberabit Vos

Severus was wary. He paced his tiny office room, worrying. His usually impassive face showed discernible fear. Dumbledore's pensieve glowed from its silvery substance and in it Severus' face was reflected, though younger, as a year younger than Hermione. It was the incident after his DADA OWL. Severus had viewed it several times since then, however, he had not reviewed for over ten years now, as he had no wish to dwell on those memories now Lily was dead.

There was a timid knock. So Granger was as scared as he was? Good.

"Enter," he called.

The girl walked in, seemingly resigned, like a prisoner ready for the guillotine. It was a disturbing sight.

"Good evening, Sir," she greeted tentatively. Snape jerked his head in response.

"This is a Pensieve," he explained. "Do you know what it does?"

"It contains memories," Hermione answered, for once declining to quote the textbook.

"Yes, Granger, it contains memories," Snape sneered, hiding his nerves with his usual icy demeanour. "It contains memories that can be shown to others. It is obvious when those memories have been tampered with, or if certain 'scenes', if you will, of the memory are missing. Memories that have been proved true by their clarity are often used as testimony in the Wizengamot. It is against the Wizarding Code to trespass these memories without the owner's permission," he added pointedly. Hermione didn't meet his eyes, remembering what Harry had done the previous year.

"So, what memory are you showing me?" Hermione questioned at long last.

This time it was the professor who would not meet her eyes. "The same memory that your friend Mr Potter saw last year," he replied. "It will tell you something about Gryffindor House, I believe, judging by the look on Mr Potter's face when he exited the Pensieve." He settled at his desk. "When you have finished I will come and collect you." He picked up his quill and dipped it in his customary black ink.

"Sir?" Severus looked up. "Aren't you coming with me, Sir?" Good God, the girl sounded terrified!

"No, Miss Granger," Severus answered sagely. "This is something you must do alone. There is always a time when you must choose between what is right and what is easy."

The girl nodded, understanding. Then she dipped her head into the silvery surface and fell into Severus Snape's memories.

*

Severus got to his feet, having emerged from the clump of bushes where he had been sitting. As he set off across the grass, Black and Potter stood.

"All right, Snivellus?" Asked Potter loudly.

Severus' reactions were lightning fast; he was always expecting an attack from Potter and his gang, but Potter's wand was already out and he yelled, "Expelliarmus!"

Severus was disarmed. Black gave a bark of laughter. "Impedimenta!" Severus was interrupted in his dive towards his own wand.

There was now a crowd of spectators. No-one did anything to help the solitary Slytherin. Severus lay panting on the ground, attempting to fight off the Impediment Jinx.

"How'd the exam go, Snivelly?" Potter questioned.

Black's reply was vicious. "I was watching him, his nose was touching the parchment. There'll be great grease marks all over it, they won't be able to read a word."

Laughter echoed. Severus struggled to stand but the jinx was still working.

"You_ wait," he panted, glaring at Potter with loathing. "You_ wait!"

"Wait for what?" Sirius said coolly. "What're you going to do, Snivelly, wipe your nose on us?"

Severus swore and tried to perform wandless magic, however it wasn't working.

"Wash out your mouth," Potter said coldly. "Scourgify!"

Pink soap bubbles streamed from Severus' mouth at once; the froth was covering his lips, making him gag, choking him_

Hermione couldn't watch any more. Seemingly sensing her distress, Professor Snape appeared in the memory beside her and tugged her elbow upwards. Once out, Hermione collapsed into a chair and wept, horrified at the bullying she had witnessed. Her own tenure at school hadn't been particularly pleasant but nothing on the level of this. Harry's father had been a bully. Sirius had been one too. And Professor Lupin, Remus had sat there, doing nothing.

When Hermione's sobs had reduced to slight snuffles, Snape patted her gently on the shoulder. Personally, he didn't understand why he had to console somebody over his worst memory, but still... it was a negative reaction to Gryffindor and, after all, that was what he had been after.

*****

A.N. According to Wikipedia, the title means Truth Shall Set You Free. Tell me if you think this title relates well to Severus' experience and Hermione's newfound knowledge.