Comfort Among Colleagues

Severus had escorted Miss Granger back to her Common Room once her crying had eventually subsided. Then he began making his steady way up to the Astronomy Tower, his breath coming in harsh, uneven breaths. He hadn't always been afraid of heights but his experience at twenty-one years of age had brought forth many fears he hadn't known even existed, that being one of them.

Once he reached the top, he carefully made his way to the side and gripped the railings tightly. He gazed up at the stars, recalling his NEWT level Astronomy knowledge and attempted to relax. Severus remembered who he used to bring up here. A pretty girl, with a mane of red, fiery hair, not dissimilar-looking to young Miss Weasley. He remembered her understanding, clear green eyes and he could picture the scattered freckles on her dainty little nose. She'd been so innocent; a breath of fresh air from the seriousness of academic life and his life, and he'd welcomed her childish qualities.

They'd danced, once or twice, up here, waltzing to silent music and swaying to invisible rhythms. They'd talked frequently – Severus had always looked forward to their discussions, even if it was only about the stars. They'd read too, of course, and he'd delighted in finding their shared interest of studying. There'd been facts that he hadn't known about her before Hogwarts; how she looked away when she was upset, or sighed with worry. He hadn't realised how her eyes lit up when she learnt something new, or how her breaths quickened whenever he took her hand. They'd had innocence and purity, and in those days, with Voldemort always around the corner, those were the moments that were cherished.

But that had all changed, Severus remembered. They'd drifted apart. They'd faced adversity; they'd even made up after the incident after their DADA OWL, and then she did the unthinkable. She began going out with his sworn enemy. Severus couldn't begrudge her happiness: she knew that he was too vulnerable to embark on a romantic relationship and despite their love for one another, neither wanted to stray beyond the boundaries of friendship. They had too much to lose.

Then she'd gone off after Hogwarts and married Potter and she was suddenly expecting a child, a son. And he overheard that blasted prophecy and ruined her life. He would never be able to forgive himself. He breathed in the sweet night air and heard footsteps behind him. There was no mistaking who that could be.

"Albus," Severus spoke hoarsely. Thinking about her always made him melancholy.

"Severus," the old man greeted. "Deep in contemplation?"

"Memories," he answered. The other nodded in understanding.

"She haunts you still." It was a statement, not a question.

"She'll never leave."

"But you'll see her again, Severus," Albus said consoling. "One day, far in the future."

"You always were optimistic, old man," Severus sneered. "I think it's far more likely that it'll be in the near future, and never. She'll be in heaven. And I'll be in hell, paying penance for my sins. You look too often to the light, dear friend. I am overwhelmed by darkness."

"In that case, you have another follower to your dark cult," said Albus, attempting to brighten the mood.

"You?"

"Miss Granger," Albus answered seriously. "She was deeply moved. You know things are hard on those who never fully integrated themselves in our world."

"Your world, Albus. I never considered myself integrated either," Severus sighed.

Albus' eyes glittered with concern. "Well you should consider yourself integrated. I do," Albus paused and then added, "_consider you integrated into our world, I mean."

"If you say so, Albus," Severus murmured, looking out at the sky again.

"Yes I do, my son. You would do well to remember it."

The two stood there for a while, in comforting silence, and eventually Albus' arm draped over the other's shoulder in companionship. Severus laid his head on his guardian's shoulder and drifted off to sleep, for once untroubled by memories.

*****

A.N. Hope you liked this chapter! A bit of Snumbledore here. 

Despite everyone knowing who Severus is thinking about, I thought it was more melancholy to omit her name.

I feel like all my fanfics, whether they are Snily or not, always revolve around Severus Snape and his complex character.

Can you imagine Alan Rickman in this scene? I can.