Spontaneity and Surprises

Severus knew Dumbledore was doomed before he started. The Dark Lord was immortal and Dumbledore, though ancient, was not. They had very few options left, and Severus had to think of a solution before the old codger ended up lifeless.

Draco was extremely hopeful about the ongoing duel. Dumbledore was strong and the only man Voldemort had ever feared. With no complicating factors, this could be the end of the Second Wizarding War and the end of Voldemort's reign of terror.

Hermione, however, was on the same page as Professor Snape. Unlike Draco, she'd remembered about the Horcruxes and recognised a thoughtful face when she saw one.

"Draco, you do remember the Horcruxes, right?"
Her boyfriend visibly paled.
"Oh... no."

"Professor Snape's up to something," she commented, watching the Potions Master beadily.
"Yes," Draco agreed. "He's thinking extremely hard, very quickly."
"Well," said Hermione, "he's a genius if he's got any idea how to get past this."

Remus, Minerva and Filius would all admit to having some portion of false hope within them. Minerva and Filius knew nothing about the Horcruxes and Remus didn't have the heart to tell them. Minerva was certain Albus would win and Filius was more dubious, given Voldemort's relative youth and equal skill. Remus simply stood and prayed to whatever deities were listening that Dumbledore would get out of this particular sticky situation unscathed.

Now, Severus Snape was acknowledged to be the greatest Occlumens among his peers and almost as legendary a Legilimens, and the Dark Lord knew none of this. Severus saw a chance and he took it.

*

Albus.
Severus.
Severus felt the old man's fatigue as they connected telepathically.
Severus, I did it.

What?
Severus' shock resounded throughout Albus' mind.

I did it, Severus, the headmaster repeated wearily. You know what you have to do.

*

To all intents and purposes, it looked like Snape had finally snapped. Standing near to the duellers as he was, he spun round and found his target. He aimed.

"Avada kedavra!" He shouted.

And Harry Potter fell to the ground.

Dead.

Multiple cries came at once and the duel came to an end as Voldemort fell backwards and hit his head with a resounding smack on the flagstone floor. Then Snape aimed again, this time at Voldemort, although several people squeaked and ran away from his target area.

"Avada kedavra," he said again, although this time in a whisper.
And Lord Voldemort, ruler of darkness and suchlike, died.

He deserved no great death. He didn't deserve to look people in the eyes as he died. He simply died while unconscious and that was what he deserved. No-one, least of all Severus, gave a toss about what happened to his body after that. So, in typical Snape fashion, he spun round and walked out of the hall with his cloak billowing dramatically behind him. Everything after that was likely to be emotional, and Severus couldn't handle emotion.

*

Draco let out a breath he didn't know he'd been holding after his godfather left. Hermione had immediately run over to Potter but the boy-who-lived was already spluttering and blinking again. He wouldn't say he was stupid but he had no idea what was going on and shuddered whenever he happened to look at Voldemort's pathetic corpse.

Remus stood, slightly shell-shocked, next to Filius. Minerva had immediately gone over to Albus and pulled him into an uncharacteristic hug, and now they were talking together and smiling. No doubt Albus was explaining to Minerva about how Harry hadn't ended up dead and Voldemort had. Remus didn't particularly care about the technicalities. Voldemort had murdered more of his friends in cold blood than he cared to count. Now was a time for caring about the living.

Minerva shook her head, disbelievingly, at Albus.
"You told him you'd destroyed all the Horcruxes and he knew instantly that he had to murder Harry? This is ridiculous, Albus. Half of me is disinclined to believe you."
"Sorry, Minerva," Albus said regretfully, "But that's the truth. I wish it had been simpler, and kinder on everyone."

"Particularly Severus," she admonished, fixing him with a hard stare.
"Yes, of course," Albus swallowed. "I'll go and find him now."
"And tell him I want a word with him!" She called after him.

*

Truth to be told, Harry felt a tiny bit sore. He'd just saved the entirety of the wizarding world and, frankly, he wanted everyone to pity him and then leave him be for a good two weeks. After all, he was just a teenager. Fame came first, then sleep.

Hermione had been sympathetic at first. Then Ginny had come over and they'd started mocking him for complaining. 'Voldemort is dead', they said. 'Be grateful', they said. Harry was grateful, infinitely so, but he'd prefer it if he hadn't been involved in the first place. And Snape hadn't apologised. Harry deserved to have no Potions homework for the rest of the year at the very least.

"How are you holding up, Harry?" Remus asked, grinning, as he joined them.
"I'm fine," Harry grumbled. "Hermione and Ginny aren't being very nice, though. I was dead for at least a minute!"
Hermione consulted her watch.
"Thirty-seven seconds," she amended.
"Still," he whined, "I'm the hero here, so stop making fun of me."

"Stop moaning, Potter," Draco drawled, appearing and draping an arm over Hermione's shoulders. "You're not the hero here."
"I mean, Dumbledore actually fought him," Ginny pointed out.
"And Severus killed both of you," Remus commented thoughtfully.

"Killing isn't nice!" Harry exclaimed.
"Now, now, Potter, stop acting like a toddler."
Snape loomed over him and the boy-who-lived visibly quaked in his boots.
"Yes, Sir," he said quickly.
"Good."

Snape seemed appeased. Dumbledore stepped into their circle.
"All students are to return to their common rooms straightaway," he ordered. "Staff..." He looked at Remus, "And ex-staff, please gather in my office."

Harry scowled at Snape's retreating back and Hermione nudged him. He'd better not get any work from Snape for the rest of the year. Harry had died for him. He'd done his bit. For now, anyway.

*****

A.N. So... It's been awhile. I have a week's holiday and thought it might be a good time to wrap this one up.

This chapter is dedicated to Cassie20052 for being an avid reader and an all-round amazing person.

Hopefully some of you readers are still out there. If you are, be on watch this coming week for more chapters!

Thank you for reading and PLEASE COMMENT!!!