Chapter 1 - January 7, 2017 - Aether

Jacen's POV :

Training has been intense and it hasn't even been a month. My fellow Guardians in Delta Squad and I did intense simulated operations.

We prepared ourselves for anything that we'd have to deal with on Earth, even and alien invasion. I believe aliens are real but I highly doubt we will ever be attacked by them, at least right now anyway.

Serena was enjoying every bit of training, which kinda suprised me. While everyone else like me was tired out, she was ready to do more.

We were ironically in the middle of a competitive match of capture the flag with another group... Foxtrot Squad. We were all armed with powerful custom laser rifle. I had a Plasma Peacekeeper Mark 1. The rifle I used was replicated off the Peacekeeper in Black Ops 2.

Helix's last game before the shut down. The gaming company wasn't doing very will there release since Black Ops 1, there was a glitch that screwd up there server and playing online was difficult during it's ending days. Since then, there servers were shut down and playing online was not an option.

They foulded a week ago and it made me a little sad. Black Ops 1 severely hurt there reputation but I felt they got back on there feet when they released Black Ops 2. However, they just couldn't escape the debt they had made from it's previous failure. Treyarch has since taken over.

"Jacen, stop staring at your cool gun and help us out" yelled Commander Brown. I refocused on our current situation and looked around, Foxtrot was doing pretty good. We were the best ranked squad but they were runner-up to us.

"There is two trying to make it past us" yelled Serena. I looked at where she was talking about and fired at them with my Peacekeeper. They both fell to the ground in a vegetable state. Our training armor is made to make simulations feel real. I'm just glad our rifles are on stun because the training armor would totally be ineffective against a real shot from our rifles.

"That's 2 more down, we got 3 more and we're done" yelled Commander Brown. "I'm just glad we're not shot, I hate being stuck like a vegetable till the end of the match" said Serena.

"We should push forward" I suggested. "You heard him Delta's, push ahead" yelled Commander Brown. I was suprised the Commander took my advise so easily but grateful. I jumped from cover and shot one of the other Foxtrot cadets.

The last two ran back to there flag to protect it. "We have them on the run" I yelled. "Come on, let's finish this" yelled Serena. We ran towards them, with absolutely no sign of giving up. I jumped and tackled an enemy against a tree. I shot him with my rifle and he fell to the ground.

"Jacen look out" yelled Serena. I ducked an barely evaded an enemy shot, Serena quickly shot the last man. "Thanks for that" I said, still sitting on the ground. She offered her hand to get me on my feet, I took it and was back up. "No problem XDIE" she said.

I wasn't the biggest fan of my nickname, XDIE, but I got used to it. She noticed my frustration then hit my shoulder. "Come on, that name is catchy for you. I figured you'd like it seeing how your... videogame clan... was called that" she said in a sassy way. "My friend an I called it that because it sounded cool... but that's different" I said in frustration. "I'm not giving up that nickname" she said as she walked towards the Commander. I rolled my eyes and walked in the same direction.

Someone grabbed my shoulder to get my attention, it was Foxtrot's Commander. "You are really good at leading this squad, even more then your assighned Commander. Good job kid" he said. "Thanks but I'm not the best, I just do what I can" I said.

He offered his hand as a friendly greeting, I shook it. "I see more in you then you see in yourself kid. Good luck" he said, he then walked away towards his men. The Commander and my squad were soon behind me when I turned around.

"Foxtrot's commander isn't wrong, you and Serena are have the reason our squad is where it is" he said. My other teammates agreed, as they where cheering for me. "Thanks guys" I said.

"You've excelled well Cadet Harrison" said someone behind me. I turned around to see who it was, it was Doctor Ross. "I see why the Commander made you the second in command of this excellent squad" said Doctor Ross. "I've kept an eye on you and Serena for awhile now and I'm very impressed. I have an offer for you 2" she said. Serena looked at me happy but confused. We both looked back at her.

"What is the offer Doctor" asked Serena. "Very few cadets get this but you 2 deserve it. How would you feel about becoming colonels of the Guardians" she asked. My jaw dropped, she couldn't be serious. Serena was also blown away, she stood motionless till I tapped her arm.

"I'm on board, how 'bout you Serena" I said. "Yes... yes, I'm ready" she said with unstable joy. "I just have one question, why so early" I asked. I was extremely happy to earn an honor like this but it has literally only been a couple of weeks.

"I will tell you more when you get to the Advanced Guardian Training Center... but, the short answer is the Guardians may be needed on Earth sooner than expected" she said. That startled me a little, if we are needed early, something bad must be happening on Earth. "Don't worry about what I said, there is no reason to be scared, you are Guardians. Your meant to take on a lot more than simple conflicts. Now go pack your stuff and head towards our facility, the coordinates will be uploaded to your living quarters" she said, she then walked away.

"Congratulations to you both, it's been a pleasure getting you through basic training" said Commander Brown. "Thank you Commander, you've been a great mentor" said Serena. "Yeah, I hope we can see you again" I said. "Don't worry, you will someday" said Commander Brown. "Now get moving, you don't want keep the Doctor waiting" he said.

We ran out of the simulator and headed for my miniature transport vessel, the Phantom. "You don't mind me hitching a ride do ya, I hate walking" asked Serena. "No problem, I understand" I said. She thanked me as we entered the ship. I jumped straight in the pilot's seat and started the ship. We lifted off and headed for Delta Outposts.

"I might need a little help moving my living quarters, it can move but it might be better if your light freighter guides it" she said. "I can do that, just make sure your luggage is secure cause I fly a little crazy" I said. She laughed at that comment. I was excited, I couldn't wait to get to our new training center.