Spring Flowers: Koushi Sugawara x Reader (Haikyuu!!)

*For added effect, please listen to the OST above as you continue to read this story.

Pale pink cherry blossoms dance with the wind, giving way to the start of spring—my favorite season of the year. I close my eyes to relish in nature's beauty as I walk down the familiar, windy path towards Karasuno High School.

"Please be careful [Reader's Name]-chan, it's dangerous to walk with your eyes closed." I hear someone say right behind me, while a pair of hands grabs my shoulders. I can already tell who it is without opening my eyes; it isn't difficult to recognize the voice of the boy I've been crushing on since the first day of school.

"Worrying too much about the small details will make you grow wrinkles, you know Sugawara-kun." I say in response without opening my eyes.

I'm not ready to leave my fantasy where only the cherry blossoms and I exist. Reality is too cruel, now that Sugawara is here, unknowingly making my heart pound faster, but also reminding me that he would never return my feelings. His heart would always belong to the goddess of the Karasuno Boys' Volleyball Team and my good friend, Shimizu Kiyoko.

I hear Sugawara exhale quietly. "Fine, if you're not going to listen to me and open your eyes, I'll just lead you to school like this."

And without a moment's hesitation, Sugawara begins to navigate us both, being careful enough to allow me to dictate my walking pace. He would occasionally turn me right or left, but I don't care enough to take notice; at this moment, I'm not even focused on the cherry blossoms anymore. All I can think about are the warm hands that gently rest on my shoulders and the light tapping of our shoes along the pavement.

But the most distracting part is how close his mouth is to me. I can hear his quiet inhales and exhales, his breath tickling my neck every time.

To avoid being labeled as a creep and possibly scaring away my crush, I keep these thoughts to myself. Although perilous for my sanity, I can't help but allow him to continue this act all the way to school.

"We are here, [Reader's Name]-chan." Sugawara says. Only then do I open my eyes and gasp. Instead of seeing the school's gates, sparks of purple, yellow, red, and pink dot an entire field of greenery.

I walk away from Sugawara for a bit in awe at the sight before me. I have never seen a place so beautiful before. I crouch down to further inspect the vibrant, velvety petals, my hands reaching out to touch them.

"Oh my... they're so beautiful..." I whisper, afraid that my loud voice would destroy the sight.

"Yes, they are. I also think they will look just as beautiful on you." he gently says, his soothing voice automatically gaining my attention. Sugawara reaches down and plucks a tiger lily. His hand moves to the right side of my face and tucks a lock of hair behind my ears, also slipping in the stem of the flower.

"There, it's perfect!" Sugawara exclaims with a wide grin on his face.

I blush at his gestures. No one has ever done that to me before, much less my long-time crush. My hands reach up to touch the flower he put into my hair, the only thing that connects us both at this very moment.

"Shouldn't we go back to school soon?" I manage to squeak out, not trusting myself to speak of his previous action in fear I will become a blubbering mess. I would rather not embarrass myself.

"No, we should be fine. We both left for school really early anyways, so we still have time for one more stop." Sugawara replies. With that, he stands up from his crouched position beside me and holds out his hand for me to take.

Blushing an even deeper red, I take his offer. I am about to let go of his hand, but he only holds it tighter as if he didn't want me to slip away from him. But it could always just be my own delusions...

He intertwines our fingers to fit more comfortably and we walk a bit more to a large tree in the middle of the field.

"Please wait here and close your eyes for a moment. Don't be scared, I will be back real quick, alright?" Sugawara says before letting go of my hand. Again, I find myself seeking his touch.

I don't wait long, certainly no more than ten seconds, till I hear, "Okay, you can open your eyes now."

For the first time today, I am able to look at Sugawara closely, although it is something I already do in-class when my eyes begin to wander. He didn't look any different from other days. His hair still an unusual gray and the mole beside his left eye makes him look cute and sexy at the same time. The only thing that is different is that he is holding a bouquet of [Reader's Favorite Flower].

"Is this for me?" I ask him hesitantly, mentally pinching myself to make sure it's not a dream.

He chuckles a bit, the noise causing massive vibrations in my heart. "Yes, they are, please take them. I know these are your favorites."

With no other choice, I walk the few extra steps towards Sugawara to accept the flowers. When my hands wrap around the flowers, Sugawara says the words that I wanted to hear most these past two years.

"[Reader's Name]-chan, I like you. Will you please go out with me?"

My mouth drops at his sudden confession—there were no signs or warnings of him ever liking me these past two years. Never in a thousand years did I ever think that Sugawara would say those words to me. The shock is so intense that my eyes begin to water, my mind still trying to process what Sugawara just said.

"Ahhh! [Reader's Name]-chan, please don't cry! I'm sorry, don't cry!" Sugawara waves his hands around in panic.

I furiously shake my head at his misunderstanding.

"No, no Sugawara-kun. It's not you. Well, it is you, but not the way you think! It's not you, it's me. Ahhh that didn't come out right either!" I ramble, just as panicked as he is. To knock myself out of this state of incomprehension, I slap both of my cheeks really hard with my hands.

I exhale once more to calm down before pulling the flowers close to my chest, "I like you too Sugawara-kun, and I have for the past two years, so yes, I would love to go out with you."

As if the spontaneity and surprises were not enough for today, Sugawara suddenly glomps me, burying his face into the crook of my neck.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" Sugawara yells excitedly. I hug him back tightly in return, conveying that my feelings for him are mutual.

"No, thank you Sugawara-kun... for preparing all this. This is all just so perfect!" I say quietly into his ear.

We both pull away after relishing in each other's presence for a while longer. And from then on, we walk to school, hand-in-hand.

A/N: If you liked reading this one shot, please don't forget to hit 'vote'! Also, I'm open to requests! If you're interested, please take a look at the description for more info!