Forgotten: Yato x Reader (Noragami)

*Requested by Crissy-chan

Being a minor goddess has some of its perks, but ultimately, the fear of disappearing is terrifying. 

I spend my days working hard to become known to at least one person in the world, only for them to forget in just a few days. As a God of Calamity, places of war and conflict are where I thrive, just like the rest of the minor gods trying to make a name for themselves in this world. 

I first met Yato in one of these fields, his graceful, yet swift movements capturing my attention. For which side we were fighting for, it didn't matter; all that we cared about was to fight for ourselves, our identity, and our place in the world. 

Even though I would see him on the battlefield often enough, we never interacted with each other. We never spoke, never made eye contact. However through that minimal contact, I began to fall in love with Yato.

I didn't need to hear his voice; his actions and the thrust of his sword told me all I needed to know about his intentions

I didn't need to know the trivial things about him like his favorite foods; my infatuation for him doesn't run so shallow as to care about that. I would love him regardless if he hated [Reader's Favorite Food]. 

I didn't need to delve into his heart to know he cares deep down inside; the way he grasps and takes care of his regalia is enough for me recognize his kind heart. 

Yato is everything that I want to be, but can never achieve. The gap between us only becomes larger when he decided to stop being a God of Calamity, and pursue a completely different path. Rather than be known as a god that brings misfortune upon others to be remembered, he chose to leave the bloody battlefield and become a God of Fortune, to be remembered as someone of benevolent nature. 

It wasn't a surprise to me, after all, I have been watching over him for the past few years. His skill in killing is of top-tier, but there was always an almost undetectable sadness in his glowing eyes. 

The death of others has already been ingrained into my life, and without any willpower to risk disappearing from this world, I kept fighting for the next few hundred years.

 But then, the wars of Japan started to dwindle. With each passing year, I watch as more and more of the minor gods pass on because no one believed in them no matter how much they tried. 

As peace began to slowly shroud Japan, my options became limited: move to another country where violence is much more prevalent, or follow in the footsteps of the few gods who are integrating into the city life. 

Remembering Yato, I chose the latter in hopes that I can see him again. 

I found employment in many places that would hire someone with no experience, I couldn't very well tell them I was experienced in killing, that's for sure. 

In the time where I wasn't ringing up groceries, passing out flyers, and interacting with as many people as I can in hopes they will remember me for a few days. 

In my spare time, I would search for Yato's glowing eyes and midnight hair—those two being his most unique physical qualities. 

And on one night, I finally found him, albeit looking a bit different from before, but I am sure it is Yato. His posture as he sits on another god's shrine is still the same. 

I'm about to call out to him, but then I see two other people beside him. One of them is a child of blonde hair and orange eyes. The red mark peeking out of his shirt lets me know of their relationship as regalia and master. 

The most concerning of the pair, is a half-ayakashi girl. The loving look Yato gives her... it tears my own heart into two as I feel it clench and unclench under my hand that clutches my chest so tightly.