Trust: Nezu Chuukichi x Reader (Gakuen Babysitters)

I've been in love with Nezu Chuukichi since he stayed back after school for cleaning duty, and I was fortunate enough to be his partner that fateful day. I had always thought he was mysterious, but I didn't expect him to be so kind, polite, and hard-working. 

The way he would offer to wipe down the top part of the board because it was difficult for me to reach. It was the way he would be so unhesitant in all of his actions and words, making it easier to get the jobs done. And most of all, his easygoing yet determined attitude that remains hidden behind his calm, quiet exterior.  

As the days go by, the more I talk to him, the more I fall harder for him. The way he would support his family by working, yet find time to study and place second in exams each time is just astounding. 

And one day, my dreams came true. 

"[Reader's Name] if you don't mind, will you please go out with me?"

The day I agreed, I already understood that it would be difficult because of his busy schedule, and that our time together would be very limited in terms of dates and such. He has family and studies to prioritize and I knew that I came second to all of his responsibilities.

But even so, Chuukichi would always find ways to make it up to me. 

"Hey Chuukichi, would you like to go get some icecream with me after school? I heard a new icecream cafe just opened nearby." 

"I'm sorry, I have to babysit Kichi and Suekichi today. Maybe we can go another day." Chuukichi lowers his head, sounding apologetic. After his display, he makes it difficult to even feel the slightest irritation at not being able to spend time together. 

Instead, I would just accept the fact that he has other people he needs to take care of so he can't be selfish. If Chuukichi can't be selfish, then I can't be either. 

But that doesn't mean Chuukichi doesn't care about me. On the very next day after he turned down an icecream date, he came to school with a little cooler and different flavors of popsicles for us to share. 

"I got some of these for free from work, but it's too much for me to eat alone. Can you help me finish them?" Chuukichi asks me politely.

Without a second thought, I smile at him and reach my hand into the mini-cooler and pull out [Favourite popsicle flavor], assuring Chuukichi that I wasn't angry or anything of the sorts. He gives me the tiniest smile in return and takes his own popsicle so that we could spend some quality time together even though it may be short.

"Ooo~ are those popsicles I see?" Yagi asks, already eyeing the cooler as he walks closer to us. He's about to reach his hand in to take one without waiting for our response, and Chuukichi slaps it away. 

"Hands off, Yagi. This is for [Reader's Name] and I." 

I can't help but laugh at Chuukichi's pettiness since he's normally so mature before motioning Yagi towards the cooler for him to take one. Even though it may not sound like much, these are the moments I really treasure because the shorter the time I have with Chuukichi, the more precious I realize it is. 

Yet, for some reason, other people's idea of a couple is not the relationship that Chuukichi and I have.

"Hey, are you and Chuukichi still dating? You two don't even go on dates." one of the girls in my class asks me, crossing her arms. Next to her are two other girls with mean glares directed towards me. 

"Yeah! Even if you are, why keep him close if you two don't even hang out outside of school? If he really liked you, then he would take you out." the girl on the right remarks.

"If you two aren't in love then break up already so we can have Chuukichi!" the girl on the left exclaims. 

I can only sigh when the girls gang up on me. They only see him as the cool and collected, smart Chuukichi. But he's more than that. They don't really see Chuukichi for who he is: a loving brother, responsible son, and a kind soul.

"Yes, we are still dating and we still like each other very much, so please don't make such assumptions. If you have any concerns regarding your affections for Chuukichi, it is a problem between yourselves and Chuukichi. If anything, bring it up with Chuukichi and have him make his own decisions. I don't make his decisions for him." I cooly reply to all the girls.

My answer may seem a bit cold, but it's the truth and I have faith in Chuukichi. He isn't the type of person to cheat or lie, if he really didn't like me anymore, he would've brought it up with me as soon as he made that conclusion.

 I also dislike relationships that feel like we are bound together by our necks. Space and trust are two important elements in a relationship— something I don't believe those girls can achieve with Chuukichi anyways especially with how clingy they are. But unfortunately, I can't say those things out loud. 

And then there are the boys who think Chuukichi and I have broken up.

"Hey [Reader's Name]-chan. Let's go out for karaoke, just the two of us." a boy says without even waiting for my response as he takes my wrist. I immediately yank it out of his hand just in case anyone gets the wrong idea.

"I'm in a relationship with Chuukichi so I can't go to karaoke with you. Sorry." I say before trying to walk away from the boy. 

"Hey, I wasn't finished talking yet! What do you even see in a trashy guy who doesn't look your way? I'm clearly the better choice!" the boy shouts drawing some attention to his tantrum in the hallway. 

"Clearly, you haven't done your research properly, or maybe you lack basic observation skills. Chuukichi and I do spend time together. Lastly, don't you dare insult my boyfriend when you haven't even met him." I tell him with the slightest undertone of anger. I'm about to walk away again but he captures my hand with his own this time, forcibly turning my body around. 

"Get your hands—" I start to say, already moving my arm to yank it away from him when I hear Chuukichi behind me,

"Please remove your hand from [Reader's Name]."

Chuukichi doesn't even give me time to turn around before he uses one arm to wrap around my waist, tugging me towards him, while his other hand breaks my hand away from the boy.

As a sign of disrespect for the boy, Chuukichi doesn't say anything more, but takes my hand in his and leads me away from the scene. From the looks on everyone's faces, it seems like we just confirmed the status of our relationship: still ongoing. 

We make our way through the crowd and to the rooftop where Chuukichi immediately bows to me.

"I'm sorry, this wouldn't have happened if I weren't neglecting you so much. Not only that, I know about the girls that keep bothering you too. All of this is my fault." 

After hearing his rare distressed tone, I throw myself on him, wrapping him into a tight hug in comfort.

"No Chuukichi, you don't have to apologize for anything, it's not your fault. I understand that you have a lot of responsibilities like your jobs and taking care of your siblings. I'm amazed you even find time to fit me into your schedule, and I'm already really happy that you do. So just focus on your priorities, and don't worry about me." I console him. 

Chuukichi suddenly pulls away, but holds my shoulders at arm length. For once, I can see his eyes as he stares at me. 

"[Reader's Name]. I promise that when my siblings grow up, when I can financially support us both, and when I have more time instead of studying and working all thesese part-time jobs, I will make you my No. 1 priority. I will shower you with all of my attention. I promise." Chuukichi says in the most serious tone I've ever heard him use. 

My eyes water at his proposition and nod my head rapidly in eagerness. 

"I'll be waiting for that day. I'm willing to wait an entire lifetime for you."