Panic and Smiles: Tadashi Yamaguchi x Reader (Haikyuu!!)

What am I going to do?! What am I going to do?! What am I going to do?! I'm not ready!

I stare at the white slide door in front of me. If I open it now, there's no going back. I can feel my hands shake as I take hold of door clasp, closing my eyes to try calm myself down before I make a fool of myself on my very first day of high school. I mean, if all else fails, I can transfer to another school, right?

I brace myself to open the door, but suddenly my hand is yanked to the side as the door magically opens on its own. I look around confused, how did the door open if I didn't push it yet?

"Sorry, but you were taking too long. You're blocking the doorway."

I look up to where I hear the sound of another person's voice, and I had to tilt my head all the way up to see a blonde-haired boy, glasses resting on his nose, and an irritated look on his face. Next to him, is a freckled boy who is giving me an apologetic smile.

Oh no, school hasn't even officially started yet, and I already managed to piss someone off. What am I going to do?!

I open my mouth to try say something, but no words come out; that's when I begin to panic some more. I flail my arms around trying to get myself to say something, an apology, or just something, but all I can muster is a tiny squeak.

"Tch. What are you, a mouse? I get it, you want to say you're sorry, right?" the blonde boy says in an irritated tone. I sigh in relief that he somehow understood what I wanted to say.

He doesn't wait for me to say anything else as he brushes past me and into the scary classroom. His friend is about to follow him, but he stops right before he enters the doorway.

"Sorry about that. Tsukki gets annoyed easily, but he's pretty understanding deep down. My name is Yamaguchi Tadashi, and the boy you just talked to is Tsukishima Kei. Please take care of us for the rest of the year." the boy I now know as Yamaguchi says with a gentle smile on his face.

I'm taken aback by how different he is compared to his friend, but I give him a small, shy smile in return. He is much more approachable and friendly, something I am very grateful for at the moment.

"No, no, sorry for blocking the doorway! As you can see, I get nervous really easily. My name is [Reader's Name]. Nice to meet you." I introduce myself to the boy. Sometime during this conversation, I must have unconsciously followed Yamaguchi into the classroom as I no longer see the white door, but a row of seats.

I feel myself panic again, but taking a look at Yamaguchi gives me a bit of comfort.

"Um...! I-I-If y-you w-would like, d-do y-you want to s-s-sit n-n-next to..." Yamaguchi stutters, his face turning redder with each syllable he manages to muster out, before fizzling out.

"What he's trying to say is he's wondering if you would like to sit next to him in class." Tsukishima translates for me. I am a bit disappointed, I wanted to hear Yamaguchi's voice some more. For some reason, his light, friendly tone calms my nerves.

I look at Yamaguchi's still pink face, touched by his generosity, I give him a wider smile than before, "Yes please, if you don't mind."

As we all walk to our seats near the back of the room, I can hear Tsukishima mutter under his breath, "I swear, those two are alike."

I blush a little at the comment, it would be nice if that were true. I would want to be as kind and gentle as Yamaguchi. I also have to admit, Yamaguchi's freckles are also really cute... actually... Yamaguchi as a whole is really cute...

I take a seat next to Yamaguchi, in the middle column of the classroom so that Tsukishima can have the window seat. I don't want to piss him off any more than I already have, so sitting next to him would be a horrendous idea.

After that one interaction with Yamaguchi, we both became friends, and Tsukishima became less harsh around me. My shyness still prevents me from talking to my other classmates though. The only reason why people talk to me is if they need help on homework, or they want to copy my notes.

Every day since Yamaguchi and Tsukishima joined the Karasuno Boys' Volleyball Team, they've both changed for the better. The difference wasn't apparent day by day, rather it was a gradual improvement that didn't hit me until I heard Yamaguchi speaking one day.

"Good morning [Reader's Name]-chan!" Yamaguchi's cheerful voice greets me first thing in the morning.

"Good morning Yamaguchi-kun! Tsukki-kun!" I greet back. I see Tsukishima give me a nod, roughly slapping Yamaguchi on the back before leaving him alone. I wait for Yamaguchi to follow Tsukishima, which would be my queue to trail after him, but he doesn't. Instead, he stays put, a shade of pink enhancing his freckled cheeks. This is weird, Yamaguchi never leaves Tsukishima.

"Yamaguchi, are you okay? You're a bit red. You don't have a fever do you?" I ask, panicking by the second as I think off all the things that can possibly be wrong. Just to make sure, I walk up to Yamaguchi and pull him down so I can touch foreheads with him.

I let him go as soon as I conclude that he does not have a fever, but if he's not sick, then why else would he be red? Oh, he turned redder than before.

"Ummm, [Reader's Name] I'm not sick. I-I-I j-just w-wanted to a-ask y-y-you..." Yamaguchi trails off, as if he lost courage to continue. He looks down to the ground, his hand automatically coming up to rub his neck.

"Yamaguchi, what is it? Please go on, I'll listen to whatever you have to say." I urge him gently.

Yamaguchi takes a deep breath, exhaling loudly. He lifts up his face, and his eyes are different from before. The determined look on his face is one that I've never seen before.

"[READER'S NAME]! PLEASE GO ON A DATE WITH ME!" Yamaguchi announces loudly, bowing deeply. Everyone in the locker rooms turn to us, surprised by his outburst.

I can feel my face burn as all the students and Yamaguchi wait for my answer. I don't know how to react except open my mouth and try to form an acceptable answer to express my excitement, but no words come out. Instead, I resort to giving him a very sheepish nod, my head downturned in embarrassment.

"THANK YOU [Reader's Name]! I'LL BE IN YOUR CARE!" Yamaguchi shouts to the world, bowing deeply once more.

The Yamaguchi from the first day of school, from what I know of, would be too scared to ask anyone out, much less alone without Tsukishima by his side. The Yamaguchi from the first day of school would not speak any louder than he needed to express himself, rather choosing to keep quiet and let Tsukishima do most of the talking. Yamaguchi's sudden explosion of determination and confidence is actually really attractive, although I already thought he was cute. I mean, just look at his freckles!

He gives me his cute, wide grin, and we both walk to class together, the distance between us much smaller than before. 

A/N: Hope you all enjoyed cute Tadashi! If you did, please give it a vote and/or leave a comment below! Also I'm open to requests, so please check out the description if you'd like me to write one for you.