Dungeons and Minotaurs: Kirito x Reader (Sword Art Online)

Kirito's POV

My sword clashes against a minotaur on Floor 63. As one of the few who has reached this floor thus far and one of the strongest players in game, it is my job to find the boss entrance. But it's pretty difficult this time around; I've been coming here for days, and still, no entrance.

If only more players could come up to this floor and help scour the place...

After defeating twenty more minotaurs, I sit down on a rock to take a break and eat lunch. I don't have much, just some bread considering I basically have no cooking ability so whatever I cook always comes out burnt or deformed in some way. I would rather not get food poisoning, so buying bread is the much safer option of the two.

As I look at the details of the cave wall for entertainment and eat my bread, I hear the familiar sound of metal clashing. Seems like someone else is here, but who could it be? As far as I'm concerned, I'm the only one in here right now.

I pack up everything I laid out, and secure my sword to my back before heading in the direction of the fight. I'm curious to see who else may be on this floor, and if they could possibly help me find the boss entrance.

I only have to walk a bit further to see a girl with a dark blue mask covering half their face, and a long scarf of matching color. Her knee-length hair is dark red and tied into a high side ponytail. However, her most prominent feature is her pair of pretty, emerald eyes that are now slanted in concentration as she takes down minotaur after minotaur with ease.

This person is known as [Reader's Name]. She is a solo player like me, also known to have climbed the ranks quickly in a short amount of time since this hell started. She also fights on the front-lines so I see her from time to time, but I have yet to talk to her since she mostly keeps to herself.

I take the sword off my back and finish off the remaining minotaurs alongside her. When all the minotaurs have perished, I see the girl sit on a rock, her breathing a bit labored from fighting for a long time.

Seeing as though she isn't going to approach me, I decide to initiate contact. I walk towards her and stick my hand out for her to shake, "Hello, my name is Kirito."

She stares at my hand for a bit before taking it in a firm grip.

"My name is [Reader's Name]. I've seen you a few times on the front lines." she says to me before letting go of my hand. For some reason, the warmth of her hand does not match her appearance.

Her voice is a bit soft, but it seems friendly enough. I am about to ask more about her, but then my stomach growls.

I blush a bit and explain myself, "Sorry, I only ate bread earlier before coming here."

At my remark, she reaches into her bag and produces a bento box, handing it to me.

"Oh, I can't possibly take that!" I frantically deny it when I realize she is offering it to me.

"It's okay. Please eat, it's not good to fight on an empty stomach." As she says this, she presses the bento closer to my hands until I take it. She's actually worried about me? My heart flutters a bit at that thought. Ah, what's wrong with me today?

I graciously take it thank her for the meal as I open the bento and break apart the chopsticks.

"Itadakimasu" I say before digging in. It is delicious! I can't help but form a large smile on my face as I shove all the food down my throat. In the corner of my eye, I see [Reader's Name] fidget nervously.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Um... is it good?"

Ah... I realize that I never actually voiced my opinion.

"Yes! It's really really good! Look, I finished everything! Not even a grain of rice left!" I say proudly as I show her the completely clean bento box. Her eyes widen a bit before taking it from my hands and putting it away in her bag again.

Then, something surprising happens. She walks closer to me and kneels down so that we are at eye level. Her face gets closer to mine with passing time... is she about to kiss me?! I panic a bit, but eventually close my eyes, waiting for her lips to come into contact with mine.

But it never comes.

I open my eyes when a soft substance touches the corner of my lips, only to see that it is a green handkerchief.

"Sorry if I startled you... there was a grain of rice on your face..." she says cutely, her eyes downturned in embarrassment. I can't see her face, but the tips of her ears are red.

I blush at my misconception of her actions. Well... that's really awkward... Stupid! She wasn't trying to kiss you idiot!

I shake my head to clear my mind before I ask her, "So have you found the boss entrance for this floor yet?"

She nods her head.

I look at her in surprise (today is full of surprises isn't it?), taking her shoulders, I lean in closer as I ask excitedly, "Where is it?"

She doesn't look too comfortable, but points to the wall behind me. I turn around, but see nothing.

"What do you mean? There's nothing around here." I ask her confused.

She doesn't say anything, but walks up to the wall behind me and touches it. When she does, the illusion clears up and a gigantic door appears, similar to the other boss entrances.

"Whoa, how did you do that? How did you know where it was?" I ask her curiously.

"I was gifted with the ability, Deduction, from the game master for my attention to detail. It allows me to detect what's not meant to be seen by the naked eye."

I look at her in admiration. To be gifted of an ability besides the preset ones is unheard of!

"Well, are you up for it?" I ask her, smirking a bit. I want to fight now.

"I thought you'd never ask." she says turning to me , her eyes closed in an eye smile, head slightly tilted in a cute manner.

With that, we each push on one side of the door and open the room to lead the path for other players to advance and get one step closer to Floor 100.

A/N: If you liked reading this one shot, please don't forget to vote! Also, I'm open to requests! If you're interested, please take a look at the description for more info!