fifteen.

P i p e r

To Piper's surprise, the rehearsals for Les Mis had been much easier to get used to than she was expected. Being in choir for several years, she had heard time and time again how intense the musical rehearsals were. Then again, they had yet to reach tech week and had only just started rehearsing, so maybe Piper shouldn't be thinking this yet. But, despite that, Piper loved being in the musical, and she didn't think there was going to be much that could change that.

The Les Mis experience, however, wasn't perfect.

"Drew's glaring at me again," Piper whispered to Gwen, who had been sitting beside her and waiting for the rehearsal that Friday afternoon to officially start when Piper noticed Drew's icy glare from all the way across the room. With Piper and Gwen getting cast as Cosette and Eponine respectively, the two of them had gotten a lot closer since the rehearsal process started.

"Well, duh," Gwen laughed as she pulled her script out of her backpack. "You got cast as Cosette, which is like the dream role of every soprano. Plus, you'll be kissing the Goode theatre heartthrob multiple times."

"You suck," Piper shot back as she punched her in the arm.

Gwen stuck her tongue out at Piper. "And you swallow."

The two would've likely fought back and forth a little while longer, but the sight of Mr. Apollo stepping up on stage and clapping his hands together caused Piper and Gwen – along with the rest of the cast – to go quiet.

"Okay, everyone! So today we're going to continue working on the entirety of the prologue up until 'Lovely Ladies'," Mr. Apollo announced. "Anyone who's not in those scenes, meaning Jason, Piper, and Gwen, can go work on solos or 'A Heart Full of Love' in the choir room. The rest of you, get up on stage and we'll start doing vocal warm-ups."

Piper swung her backpack over her shoulder and began walking to the choir room with Gwen. Jason was close behind, and Piper could hear him humming the tune to 'A Heart Full of Love'. Mr. Apollo pointed at the trio as they began to walk out of the auditorium and called out, "No messing around in there, you three!"

The two girls giggled as Piper pushed open the choir room door.

"So which one of you two wants to sing their solo first?" Gwen asked when the trio got into the room. "Because I definitely don't want to go first, and I really don't want to sing 'A Heart Full of Love'."

"Seriously, Gwen?" Piper whined, who had been hoping that she wouldn't have had to sing just yet. "Why not?"

"Because I am extremely unprepared when it comes to Eponine's music," Gwen answered as she flipped through her music binder. "And I need to study."

"We've had this music for weeks. And 'On My Own' is probably one of the most well-known theatre songs of all time!"

"So? We haven't really even been called into rehearsal until now. I haven't really had the reason to look at the music!"

Piper groaned. "Theatre kids," She muttered under her breath.

"Technically, you're a theatre kid now too," Jason pointed out.

Piper laughed and rolled her eyes playfully. "Touché."

Sitting down at the piano bench, Piper began messing around with the piano keys and ended up playing the opening notes to 'One Day More'. The tune had been practically engraved in her head for the past couple of weeks – especially after Piper began listening to the soundtrack on repeat after deciding to audition for the show – so the tune was practically instinctive at this point.