thirty-two.

L e o

When Leo clocked in for work that night, he hadn't been expecting much during that shift. His work shifts at the mechanical shop were usually uneventful as it was, save for the occasional angry, delusional customer who seemed to think they knew about more than the trained mechanics in front of them. But Leo knew that night would have an especially light workload, so he was fully prepared to spend his shift taking it easy.

What Leo wasn't expecting, however, was a certain girl with warm brown eyes who had barely left his mind those past few weeks.

For the past few minutes, Leo had been working under the hood of a newer car that only needed a few small repairs. He had been so focused though that he didn't hear Calypso enter the shop and stand close next to him until she spoke up.

"Hard at work there still, Repair Boy?"

Leo looked up from inside the hood of the car and grinned brightly at the sight of Calypso leaning against the doorframe of the workshop entrance. Her caramel hair had been taken out of her usual plaits and now fell loosely around her shoulders. "Normally, I would be annoyed by someone scaring me in the middle of work and coming into my workplace," He said. "But, you're a good distraction though."

"I feel like this shop is the only place I can find you other than school, right?" Calypso chuckled. "And in school, we're both so busy that we barely cross paths besides Physics and lunch."

Grabbing one of his only non-greasy rags off the table, Leo wiped his forehead of oil and sweat and stood up to his full height – which, frankly, wasn't much. "You know I barely leave this workshop, right?" He responded in a joking voice, even though it was far from the truth. "What's going on?"

"Yeah well..." Calypso sounded nervous as she sat down on the folding chair close to the car Leo was working on. "I kinda wanted to talk with you."

Oh boy.

Leo tried to continue acting normal, even though his stomach kept twisting in on itself. The words "I want to talk" were never good. Whenever someone says something like that, you can't help but think that you've done something majorly wrong.

"Actually, I really wanted to talk to you," Calypso continued in a nervous voice. "And I remember you saying you didn't have much you didn't need to do tonight and I just...really needed to see you."

"What's up?" He asked, trying to sound as casual as he could. But given the fact his voice seemed to go up two octaves, Leo wasn't sure he was doing so well at that. "What do you want to talk about?"

"It's about us."

Leo snapped his head up and let out a yelp when the back of his head hit the open hood of the car. Calypso rushed forward and frantically asked, "Are you alright? Are you hurt too bad?"

"I'm fine, I'm fine." Leo rubbed the back of his head as he stood back up straight again, being careful not to avoid the hood so he wouldn't have a repeat of the incident. Thankfully, the pain in his head was quickly beginning to subside, so Leo was able to put his full attention on Calypso. "So...what's up with you? What did you want to talk about?"

Calypso was quiet for an uncomfortably long time, causing Leo to let out a nervous laugh. "Well, Sunshine, we can't exactly have a conversation if one of us isn't talking–"

"I want to be official."

Leo froze mid-sentence, his mouth slightly agape. Calypso's face matched Leo, as if she didn't expect to suddenly blurt it out like that. He certainly didn't expect her to be so up front about it, especially after weeks on end of secrecy and seemingly no end to what they were doing.